Charleston Catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tobystan_2000, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Soon, I'll be taking a three week trip to Charleston. Was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction for catfish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Santee, Santee, Santee which isnt too far

3. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Toby, Brad is right, the Santee Cooper lake system is world known for it's catfishing, You have lake Marion and lake Moultrie connected togeather by the rediverion canal. Depending where you'll be at in Charleston you will be from about 30 minutes to about an hour to the nearest landing of Lake Moultrie.

4. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll actually be in Ladson. About 20 minutes west of the city. Thanks for the information guys. Any idea what it would take to fish out of my Texas boat for a couple weeks??

5. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Toby, It should'nt be a problem, as long as your boat is legal, (safety devises, Registration is current) You can go on SCDNR web site and see all the boating and fishing laws. Hope this helps. And enjoy your stay in Charleston.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'll let local guys fill you in about boat but if you have access to Military Recreation Areas Short Stay on Lake Moultrie is only maybe 25 miles from Ladson. You wouldn't happen to have anything to do with really big mean trucks? Some really great fishing out of there. I just take my boat from NC no problems. Good fishing.:lol:

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The Edisto and the Cooper river are real good places to fish and there a little closer to Ladsen.

8. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the input guys. And I don't have anything to do with Mean trucks.

9. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found this on the SCDNR web site FAQ for boating regulations:

Can I bring my boat to the state of South Carolina when I'm on vacation?
    You can use your boat for 60 consecutive days in the state of South Carolina as long as your boat is currently registered in your state and a valid decal is on the bow of your boat. You must have your registration card on the vessel when operating it in South Carolina.

Thanks again for the information!!

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    There is a company in Ladson that makes big trucks for the military. I was just guessing.:embarassed: Have fun there is some great fishing all around that area.

11. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Someone somewhere in the SC posting area mentioned the Goose Creek Reservoir. Isn't that fairly close to the Ladson area? And, how's the fishing there?

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have fished some canals out in goose creek years and years ago. I can only remember catching a bunch of fish but nothing large. That had to be near 25-26 years ago though I think I was about 20 then.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    As mentioned, you can use your boat here, but if you go out on the lakes, be aware of the weather. They can be very dangerous, especially to smaller boats. A lakes chart, available at most area tackle shops, walmart, etc can be valuable. As questions of the tackle shops and marina operators. They can help with questions as to what bait is working or what areas are producing. Good Luck :006:

14. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Toby,
    Goose Creek Reservoir is located on Murry Drive in Hanahan. Which is about 15 minute drive from Ladson. As far as fishing goes, I never cuaght anything really big, but it is fished heavily. Biggest cat I know of taken there was about 15 lbs. A better choice might be the Cooper, Wando rivers, or Bushy Park. On right side is the saltwater side which is the Copper river. Go to any deep water hole and it should hold cats. I have taken several blues over 40 lbs on cut shad/herring. Hope this helps.

15. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Toby,
    I have fished the reservoir many times, Mostly just playing with bream, If your after a memorable catfishing trip, I would make my plans on lake moultrie. Blackwaterkatz is right check the weather conditions before putting a boat in the Santee lakes, the winds can pick up quick, and most of these guy's will tell you from experience, You do not want to be out there with high winds.