Charles Mills

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by skinner766, Apr 16, 2006.

1. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    Anyone fish Charles Mills yet this year for cats? I fished it 4-15 and didn't have any luck, alot of winter kill shad still floating around and water temp was 65 to 68 degrees i fished in the daytime. Maybe I should have waited till the evening?
    Did get to try out my boat for the first time and it ran great and the weater was nice (other than the wind):)

2. ShovelHead

ShovelHead New Member

State:
    ohio
    Here are a few spots that are tried and true at Charles Mill in Mifflin. #1 Pull out of the marina and as you are comming out of the little cove the marina is in turn right and look between the small island and the bank. If you have a fish finder you will see that there is a sink hole just far enough away from the bank that you cannot cast there unless you have a boat. #2 Go under the 430 bridge and head for the island that they used to have as a haunted island. Between that island and the bridge there is a small island . Fish the north side of it there are a few sink holes. #3 Try to go up by Molly'S Cheese house(if it is still there?) The Catfish will go to the shallows there pretty early in the season. #4 Last and probably least go to the Dam and fish the spill way. The Cats are smaller but at lease you can catch a few. Let me know how these tips help. By the way. I used to run around up there alot and knew the Rangers at one time. There are a few places where you can see huge Catfish in the shallows during the late summer. My final tip would be to follow the rangers for a little while in the mornings. They like to visit these spots and look for the Catfish too!

3. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    Thanks alot for the tips, i've fished the dam and the bridge by the boat ramp and have done ok from shore but now that i have a boat i think i'll do better. heading out tomorrow night for some cats hope to get a few good ones :)
    I'll post here if i do any good

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My wife and I were at Charles Mill last week. Fishing for Cats and Crappie above the dam. No luck at all. Plan to bring my boat up sometime soon and will try the holes mentioned by Shovelhead. I'll let you know, and maybe we can gang up on them.

5. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    hey Jammer let me know when you want to meet up and fish. I went last night after work and fished for a couple hrs and got 4 nice eater size channels that are in my avatar :big_smile: only fish for about 2hrs and i fished right by the boat ramp they were close to the bank and are really fat i think they are feeding heavy on shad right now. caught all my fish on cut shad.

6. deerandcathunter

deerandcathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone know the water conditions at Charles MIll? I am planning on trying to fish up there tomorrow or saturday night. If I make it out, I will be bringing the boat up and could use some company. If anyone is interested, let me know. It has been years since I have fished there and I was planning on fishing the area around 430 or up by the river if the water is up.

7. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    Well, hard waters to navigate. I knew it was shallow, but man is it really shallow! I put in at the new ramp off 430 and headed out towards the islands. Excellent fishing. I was expecting a couple of fish, but from the moment I threw anchor to the time I ran out of bait, I was getting hammered.

I had a few small bites, but every other bite was a screamer on the old bait clicker. Caught 12 total. 3 were in the 7-8lb range, 2 were in the 3-5 lb range and the rest were 2 and under. One took the bait faster than any fish I have ever caught and I thought I had finally caught my first flathead. All of the fish were very aggressive tonight, but unfortunately, no flathead. A buddy is going to meet me tomorrow and we are going to try some live bait. Can't complain about catching all the nice channels though.

I wish someone would have been there with me. My buddies aren't going to believe it outside of the few pictures I did take. I will post those if they come out OK. Took them with my camera phone, so they aren't the best.

8. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    Heres the pictures. They are definately rough. two of the pictures are of the same fish.

Attached Files: