Charles Mill Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zcat, May 9, 2007.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    My son and I are planning on are first cat trip this saterday night. Would like to know if the cats are bitting there yet. We mainy go after flatheads . Never been there , But hoping to find a spot to park close to lake ,to have a fire and sleep in van.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Can answer from experience about the flatties yet, but the channels are biting pretty good everywhere up here. Only fished CM once last year from the state park area. Wish I could be more help. Give me a call sometime, I just up the road from you.

3. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Does anyone fish this lake? I have read that its a great flathead lake. But no real reports ,even in past history from boc.

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, how did you do?
    I have fished there, but haven't done very well. I know there are flathead in there. I talked to a couple young guys last year the day after they caught a 40+ lbs Flat in the stream below the dam. There used to be a member that caught a lot of Flats in the lake, I haven't heard from him for a while. Can't remember his handle.

5. BigCatJake

BigCatJake New Member

State:
    Bellville,Ohio
    The lake is fairly decent for the area, as far as Flatheads, great channel catfishing. A lot of the flatheads are caught in the tailwaters of the damn, using live bluegill or chubs, be prepared to lose alot of rigs due to hangups mostly rocks. The main campground just passed the check-in gate, past the marina on the lefthand side, there is a deep cove. The St.Rt 430 bridge where the main channel flows and there is a boat ramp and parking there as well that has been hollowed out by dredging. The blackfork river which feeds the lake is a decent option as well, at St. Rt30 and 603 intersection. The lake is shallow lake with scattered stumps here and there. The corp dredged out certain parts of the channel and around eaglepoint campground area. Goodluck and goodfishin.

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A lot of good info. Thanks, and welcome to the BOC.
    Keep in mind Charles Mill has a 10 hp limit, if your going to take a boat.
    There are some annoying little one seater boats with 10 hp motors that fly up and down the lake. I guess there is no speed limit.

7. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    We did go a few weeks back. Only thing we caught was a 2 channel cats. Thanks for the info. Will stick to places i know a little better and had good luck.