Chariton River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MissouriCats, May 28, 2008.

1. MissouriCats

MissouriCats New Member

State:
    Higginsville,Missouri
    I hunt on some property by Kirksville that runs along the Chariton river for a couple miles but I've never fished it. If you've got any tips that would help me let me know. I am really wanting to fish it but it looks pretty shallow so I wasn't sure if it was any good anyways.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Fish it like you would any small river or stream. Riffles and holes those are the 2 things you have to remember. If there is a log jam anywhere fish that too. It don't take much as far as water to hold a good size fish.

3. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Chariton around that area is better fished by getting a good set of waders and walking the river when it gets low in the summer. I have heard of some good fish, especially channels caught in the holes that are left after the river drops. Don't know about fishing it during higher water but I guess you could with a boat but there still might be some low areas. Good luck.

4. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kyle,

Get you some nice medium size crawdads for bait and set them out on bank poles, limb lines, or short trotlines around root wads, snags, and sharp banks and you will wear the channel cat out. 4/0 to 6/0 hooks.

5. muleskinner78

muleskinner78 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fish the charton river alot up around the rathbun dam. Get you some live shad, and fish the deep holes some nice blues, and flats in there. Have fun!!!

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    You can fish the oxbows for some good action.