chariton river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Feb 11, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    does anyone fish the chariton river??? i was wonderin wat the waters like and if theres many flatheads down there...thanks

2. poolman37

poolman37 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a friend in macon county that fishes the chariton...and I've heard stories of a few big ones comming out of there.
    ...but my buddy mainly fishes it in the spring when the water level is up.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    It's been 10 years since I fished there but I did get a 26lber out of there.

4. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I caught a 40lb. flathead several years ago out of the Little Chariton where it dumps into the Missouri River over by Glasgow.

5. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    You get hold of a lot of gar in Chariton and usually have to set bank or trot lines to do much good there. It is pretty dangerous to fish from bank at times the erosion causes bank to give way. Ive seen 30 lb flatheads but really the east fork of chariton is easier to get hold of nice fish. A kid that used to fish with me (now in arizona ...caught a 42 and a 26 in East fork . Ive caight a 32 and a 26 in east fork also when water was up.

6. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    wheres this east fork?? is there boat access near where ur talkin?? thanks

7. glennerd skinnerd

glennerd skinnerd New Member

State:
    kansas
    nice fish. what were you useing for bait?:big_smile:

8. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    me??? i was using sunfish in the des moines river

9. rdt

rdt New Member

State:
    MO
    I live fairly close to the chariton and have fished it some, not my favorite place to go. The middle portion has been straightened and most of the time you could wade it without putting your billfold in your shirt pocket. Good for small channel cats and gar, locals say that it hasn't been any good since the reintroduction of the otter. Fished the northern portion one time, it is still the old channel looks to be good but I never had a bite. It's about 40 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep but supposedly good fishing. The south end should be good but I've never tried it. I think the east fork referred to flows through Long Branch lake now. I hope this helps.

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    East fork of Chariton Flows into north end of Long Branch Lake on west arm of the lake. It picks up again below the dam for the lake and flows under US 36 and business RT 36. It continues on about a 1/16 mile where it runs under old hwy 36 through a tube under concrete. You can cast across this water but when water is up in spring it connects to missouri river and the big fish come up it. There is about as much water under the banks as in middle. Nearly every old maple overhanging the creek has a hole back underneath it. No boat ramps and farmer has posted land this last year no trespassing. But ive fished right off culvert before and caught plenty of fish. Its a funny thing the turtles sun themselves there and when they get ready just drop over the edge. For the longest time i couldnt figure out what that noise was.