charging system

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wayne1967, May 7, 2008.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What should a motor put out amp wise back to the battery to keep it charged?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Depends on the system that was installed on the engine when it was built. I have seen 9 amp to 30 to 60 amp.

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you have an idea of what a 1989 60hp Merc. should be, or do they vary? Thanks.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say without checking to make sure is that it most likely has the 9 or 10 amp system.

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you are lookin to upgrade or replace your existing system, should if be found to be faulty can i make a suggestion???

look into the stay n charge system
    http://www.stayncharge.com/

for the money you cannot go wrong. I have the origional stay n charge for my trolling motor bats on my 14 ft jon boat and have NEVER had a dead bat. I chrage both at the same time. First thing i do after loading the boat is plug it in then keep cleaning out and readying boat for the next launch (sometimes just down the road) and it charges your bats while parked, driving whatever.... FOR THE MONEY YOU CANNOT GO WRONG

if you need any more info I know the perfect guy to talk to shoot me a PM anyone and I will send him your numbers

AJ

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My volt meter in my console use to always read 14 to almost 15 which is near the red mark when running. Now it stays just a little above 12.

7. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    your alt.should put out about 14 when running.

8. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats volts not amps