Charging Boat Batteries Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by hardydk1, Sep 16, 2009.

1. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    There are 2 batteries in my Tracker Pro Crappie, one is the cranking battery, the other is the deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. Currently I am using chargers that are supposed to fully charge the batteries, then switch to trickle charge to keep them charged. Is this the best method to charge the batteries? The boat is not used that often, but when it is the trolling battery is often killed by excessive trolling, or setting up lights for night fishing. What methods do ya'll use to charge your batteries?

2. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    newer batteries.....i run them pretty low before charging them.....older ones....i charge every trip.......the lower the amp charge the healthier for the battery...............but i never charge above 8amps!:wink:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have three batteries on my boat.

Marine Cranking Battery: Only starts the boat

Deep Cycle Marine Battery #1: powers the sonar/GPS, AM-FM and marine band radios, running/nav lights,

Deep Cycle Marine Battery #2: powers the trolling motor, bait tank, and lights for night fishing

The two deep cycle batteries are charged by a two bank MinnKota charger, and the cranking battery is charged by the motor. I don't want my cranking battery doing anything except starting my motor.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have optima batteries so not sure if there the same. I fish allnight sometimes 2 nights then when I pull boat home I put all batteries on "computer" type charger. it's just an automatic charger. I charge all batteries to 100 percent then leave them until the next weekend and do the same thing again, batteries are 2 1/2 years old and still do great so I cant tell you what longer term would do. I just dont like leaving a battery for any lenght of time with a partial charge.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I run a float charger onboard and when I finish I come in plug it up until I go out again. I leave it on all the time. It will charge up full and then shuts off. It will pick back up when the charge drops so far. Last set of batteries came from wal-mart and lasted me five years.

6. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    From what info I can find on the net, Discharging a lead acid battery is about the worst thing you can do to it. And that adds up, Put a new battery in my truck and it lasts years but the ones in my boat have never lasted more than a couple. Because I discharge them so heavily pulling lights and the trolling motor etc.

The only real answer to this seems to be to run enough batteries so that you never draw one down far. Drawing them low causes large crystals to form and the charger never gets them completely gone. So every time you discharge a battery deeply its a little weaker next time. And the reason a good auto will keep a battery so long is all it does is start your auto then the alternator takes over. They do make chargers now that are better able to remove the large crystals but they don't work 100% either.

The big amp draws for me are the sealed beam float lights and the trolling motor. I'm looking into L.E.D.s for replacement lights but I haven't found what I want as of yet so I guess I'll wire a couple of batteries parallel until I do.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Invest in a pulse type charger that blows the crystals off the plates PLUS put some MinnKOta liquid in each cell as per the instructions.That will take care of the crystalization process The Army uses PULSETECH chargers all the time .I have two solar ones that I hook up and leave on for about 3 days,but I just bought a regular charger that has pulse charge capability and it completely reconditions your baterry.:big_smile:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  8. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i agree with jim....pulse chargers are in your best intrest

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have two batteries on my boat. One is the motor starter battery. The other is for pumps and lights and my gps/depth finder. I used to charge each battery separately before a trip. A few years ago I bought a Bass Pro XPS i 5/5 charger. Since then I have not worried about charging. It charges each battery as it needs it and as each one slowly creeps toward the full charge level it will automatically transfer those unneeded amps to the other battery if needed there. Plus it says it conditions the battery plates to add to the life of the battery. Just this month one of my batteries went bad and I had to buy a new battery. It was a 2 year battery and it lasted over 4 years. I hate to buy batteries. The things I buy for my boat I have to decide on the ones I want and the best I can afford. Some of those charges can get very expensive. Do you homework before you get one.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Robert that is what I have installed on mine.