charging batteries

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by coltsfan, Sep 3, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    if your trolling battery is only 1/2 dead is it ok to go ahead and charge it or is better to drain it dead then charge it- just wondering . thanks for your responses.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have always charged my batteries the night before every trip. But I can't say if that was right are wrong. It never really shortened the battery life as far as I could tell.

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get a good charger for deep cycle batteries and charge it every time you get home, every night before you go out, and check it every month if you are not using it. A good deep cycle charger will not overcharge you battery.

Batteries dont like sitting in a discharged state. Incompletely charged batteries develope sulfation on the plates, reducing battery life and ability to take and hold a charge.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Dade said it all. I charge mine everytime when I come in and if it sits awhile, I charge before I leave out.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The hardest thing on a battery is letting it go dead. Messes up the plates. I always charge my bats. when I get done fishing. A slow 2 amp charge is best on them. (they will last longer) I have 3 bats. 1 marine starter bat 2 deep cycles. They are charging right now.
    Bill

6. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got a battery charger I can set to automatic, so it doesn't over charge. Kicks in and out in case I forget. Battery that I dont use in winter time, I try to remember to keep charger hooked up on auto. Dont always remember. LOL.
    Aint good to let one discharge all the way and stay that way. Best to keep em fully charged after each use, even if it's only used 1/2 amount. IMO.

Also, I was told not to put a battery on concrete. I learned that many years ago. It ruins the battery some kind of way but I dont remember why. I just dont do it and haven't for many years. I put a board under it if its sitting out in shed. Correct me if I'm wrong. LOL.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Always recharge your deep cycle battery after you use it. You would be amazed how much charge they need. I've had a Delco sealed battery for 5 yrs and it still tests above what's it rated for, because I always recharge it. And about the concrete thing, that's for the old rubber cased batteries. Concrete won't hurt a plastic cased battery.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My Quest onboard charger stays plugged in except when I'm using the boat.
    It only charges if one of the batteries voltage is below normal.