Charging Aux Battery

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Snagged2, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I'm using a Bayliner, with small block chevy power,
    It of course charges the starting battery, and ,, I have an aux. battery, that I'd like to charge from the alternator..
    I rigged up a starting solenoid between the batts so that when the motor was running, it would automatically charge the aux battery. It wired up OK, but, I don't think it is heavy duty enough for that situation. It quit rather quickly..didn't fry it, but, it just quit working
    I didn't particularly want to use a manual switch, but, will if that's the most economical-dependable fix..
    I like that automatic feature theory, of the solenoid..
    any thoughts or ideas,, would be most appreciated.
    Thx, Greg

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go and get you an battery isolator for it. It will allow you to charge both batteries at the same time. What happened was you had to much feed back and it was like 24 volts backing through your alt.

3. :0a24:

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Bubbakat... "your the man".....

I'm a firm beliver in the isolator...Greg.... I reallly have two on my boat... not that it is needed ... but to turn off the aux when needed.. as the main battery is way under there....and I took one off of an ole boat....

Bayrunner Ray

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Im thinking that you most likly bought a starter sylonoid for a car or truck starter, thoes are "momemtary" use only you can ge a continuious use sylonoid for full time use,, such as ones used on winches, electric cranes, the contacts are diffrent on the inside,, nickel I think..

but yes isolaters are the key that fits the lock,

6. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Hook the batteries in series. Positive to positive and negative to negetive. This will charge both batteries while running and both batteries will be cranking,but you will still have just have 12 volts. Only drawback is that the aux. battery will not be isolated,but will get charged. Perko battery switch for around $40 is the best bet.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks everybody for the info ,, and tips..

It all makes sense,, and I just need to make a choice, and, finish this project!!