Charging Armadillos

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tulcat, May 29, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Although I spent many hours in the outdoors in my younger days, we didn't have armadillos this far up north. Now they are all over the place.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I was bank fishing on the Verdigris, and I heard what sounded like club-footed kids busting through the brush. I looked over my shoulder to see 2 armadillos charging my spot. I jumped up out of my chair and took a defensive stance with a yell, thinking they would run.

Well they stopped for a second, but only slowed from a run to a slow walk and kept advancing. I moved around to my truck to grab an Ugly Stik and they scattered.

About 2 hours later I heard what I thought was a deer, but once again it was these 2 clowns charging my spot. I jumped up and kicked dirt at them and one ran off, but the other kept coming. I threw a large piece of wood at him and he backed off a few feet, but would not leave. So I then grabbed a 10 foot piece of bamboo I had cut earlier, and went to whipping his a$$ and he finally got the hint and left.

Is this normal behavior for these animals or was I just lucky?

I know they were lucky that I had decided to not bring my Glock!

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Gosh I don't know if that is normal or not, but next time catch me one in a cage and I'll pay to ship it here to live under my garage. Seems when they finished the house, they took all the wood and crap and pushed it under where they laid the concrete slab and termites live under there. Armadillos love termites.

LOL, Take the Glock next time. Take care.:cool2:

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have never heard of this, I didn't think they were aggressive.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have never heard of an agressive armadillo, they can't see very well! I have eaten then when younger but saw where they carry leprosy (It don't hurt them) so I checkened out from cookin them! I know they can be killed easy with a broomstick! hate to break a good fishin rod on one tho.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No way is this normal. It is probably a case that the stupid animals had it fixed in their minds to do something, go somewhere, and wasn't about to change your mind because of you. They are not normally an aggressive animal - just real ugly. So, unless your partial to beauty, you handled the situation about right. You may try talking to them like a cajun. They eat armadillos, and the amadillo's know it. I once saw a 6' 4" sergeant chasing an armadillo with super on his mind. The armadillo won as the sergeant was so tall he couldn't swing properly. Funniest thing - a basic training company of 220 trainees and 8 drill sergeants rolling on the ground howling at this sergeant.

6. Definitely breeding season plus they are blind as a bat. It seems that with that thick hide of their's they go through life unworried about the world around them. I had them just stroll on past like I wasn't even there. As a non native I feel no remorse trying to do in everyone I see. Used to hold armadillo safaris down at the hunting club. You don't want to know what a 30-06 will do to one. LOL Had one dumb (or blind) enough to "charge" me one time while I was using a 12 ga. Stopped that "charge" at ten feet.
    Actually you can just about grab them up if they got a head start on you. Just don't let them get into a hole. They'll dig in with those front claws and you can pull on that tail until you hurt yourself, it ain't coming out.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim,

You aint got any luck! :embarassed:

I wish you had a camera with you when it happened, "Wild Animals Attack"! :big_smile:

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is a first time story for me about Armadillos attacking.
    I grew up in Texas. Easy stuff catching them. I have caught countless Armadillos. not one time has one attack or have I gotten hurt. Even in mateing season. Are you sure it wasn't a bagger, maybe bobcat or something else. Armadillo are cool. Once you catch one, they clam
    down and can almost make it a pet right off the bat. Never ever heard of what your talking about.
    I could tell many funny stories about catching Armadillos, even when I took em to school. Armadillos, easy stuff.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

From the remarks of how blind they are and the mating season that could have spelled bad news for me if I had tripped.

Next time the Glock comes, that's for sure :lol:

10. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    last time i went camping there were dillos everywhere.i had a red light and snuck up on a few of them and tapped em on the back. its pretty funny to see how high they can jump.:big_smile:
    matt

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yep sounds like you were on their mating grounds...wouldnt you charge if ya come home to find someone in your bed lol.

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas

LMAO, you aint kidding on how high they can jump. Thats too funny if you ever seen one do that.
    I remember once me and wife coming back from lake and I had to catch a Armadillo sitting on side of road. I chased him down and throw him in back of truck. That thing jump higher than I am tall. I mean straight up. Funny stuffTook him home for kids to see and them to take to cub scout meeting. LOL. We was going down road and he would jump in bed of truck. I had to slam on brakes to keep him from flying out back. Very funny. after scout meeting, this thing became a pet real quick. He would walk around our yard etc. Guess one day he decided to leave.
    They can also dig very quick. I have chased one down that dug in ground very fast. No way could ya pull him out if he was half way in ground. Them things grab hold. LOL. I had many of them as pets. LOL.

I've had em on BBQ before too. HeHeHe.

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've seen them jump pretty high before when I've hit them with a 100 grain broadhead from my bow.:big_smile: I hate those armadillos and they seem to get worse every year in the woods that I hunt. They make so much dang noise and take there sweet time walking through the woods by your stand. When I haven't seen a deer after 10 hours in the stand and those guys are making too much noise by my stand....well it's one less dillo in the woods.

I see them all the time and never seen one come towards me. They will run or kind of hop away. They could have been rabid, you were by there hole and wanted in, mating season, hard to tell but not normal.

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I aint for sure here an I'm a guessing but, was there some dog friendly butt smelling going on. That always stirs the pot when mixing critters. .

OOPS, bad post.
    Delete it.:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :crazy: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Dano,
    I don't know what you meant by this post, but I laughed until I almost cried! Good therapy....................Ooopps this one will have to be deleted too. LMHO

IMO this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. Loved it.

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

No they were definitely armadillos. It was still daylight, they were only about 10-20 feet away, and I had only drank 1 or 2 Heinekins by then, so I was pretty sure what they were.

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Well if that is the case they should work on their ritual or they are going to be lonely for awhile.

All they got from me was 10 feet of bamboo Ninja style.

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Armadillos aren't aggressive, they're just nearly blind and totally stupid. I got nailed in the nuts one time by one. I snuck up on him and hit him with a rock, and he jumped straight up in the air and beaned me right in the balls. My dad and my cousin were fishing in a boat nearby, and they about fell out of it laughing at me. I bet it was funny, but I sure wish I was laughing at it happening to someone else.

Armadillos can be great fun. We used to catch them when we were in college, and turn them loose in the dorms and various exciting places around campus. Snakes work well for that purpose too. Picking on the sissy city kids was a blast in college.

Jerrod

19. More power to you on that. Whenever I've tried it my back gave out before their legs did. :embarassed:

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    On our way back from Truman Lake my boys and I counted 11 dead ones on the side of the road..what bothered me is not one was seen dead in the middle of the road! Now, do they stand on the side of the road and wait for a drunk to hit them or what? It just does not seem right that we here in Missouri traded wild Turkeys for these things!