Chargers Change

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Terry Day, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey,

What does everybody think about the Charges getting rid of Marty?? I have my own opinion, and just wanted to know what the general thoughts were.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Someone will pick him up if he chooses to keep coaching...seems like he does a good job building up a down team....just can't do well in playoffs re/Chiefs:roll_eyes:

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    My question is, how can you fire a coach who led a team to a 14-2 season? I see the Chargers having problems now that they have no D or Offensive coordinators, or a head coach. Good coaches are very hard to find these days. We'll have to wait and see what happens.:confused2:

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I listen to talk radio all day long when driving between customers offices. The consensus (from the SPorts talk shows) was that Marty and the GM did not get along.....don't know much more than that.
    For all the Charger fans....you guys won't have too hard of a time getting a quality coach from the ones that are available. I would think that would be the most sought after coaching position in the NFL now, with the team the Bolts have and had a couple plays went differently they would have been in the AFC championship game.

Marty is in the same boat Peyton used to be, Elway used to be..etc, etc. His teams have been good everywhere he's coached. At the end of the day, the players still have to make the plays.

cyas
    robert

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    My question is why did they wait so long to fire him if they were going to fire him? They lost both of their coordinators in the mean time and could have filled the head coaching spot from within but I guess that wasn't the plan! Now they have 3 big spots to fill!:crazy: Good luck with that!:eek:oooh:

6. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    He made a bold move getting rid of drew brees but it worked out to his favor with philip rivers who i thought would never play. The man in my opinion made a mountain out of a mo-hill. I guess having L.T. helped out quite a bit to though :big_smile:

7. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    First time I've posted in a while, How you doing lilryjoe?

After seeing Phillips leave and about half of the rest of his staff it didn't surprise me one bit that Marty was let go. The last few games of the season and the playoffs he didn't even wear his headphones on the field. He was letting his coordinators do all the heavy lifting, which in someways dug his own grave. They were widely respected around the league for what they were doing with Martys team and that showed this offseason with all of the immediate hires of thier staff members. The big question now is who is coming in? Don't be too surprized if its Norv Turner to mentor and teach thier QB. Ron Rivera of the Bears might not be the best option because he runs a different defense then they currently have. The retooling of D would not be beneficial after building such a great 3, 4. I doubt that Parcells will jump back into the game this quickly, but who knows. So, who do you think will take over? Also, you have to take another point into consideration when thinking about this. All of the other teams have thier guys. Whomever takes over will have a tough time filling his coordinator spots and assistant spots with quality people. Or maybe they'll take the Jerry Jones aproach and just hire whoever they want with no regard to the incoming head coach. Thats a whole other story though!