Charge those batteries

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by RIP, Mar 6, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Went to the lake for a while today was'nt going to stay long so I did'nt take the boat, just fished a little off the dock by the boat ramp. Two guys pulled up one jumped out got things ready and climbed in the boat. The other backs the boat to the water, and just as they are putting in the guy in the boat trys to start it and nothing. He starts yelling at the other guy to pull back up he does then gets out of the truck to see what going on. When he finds out his buddy did'nt charge the battery the argument was on. All excited to go fishing for the first time this year and had a dead battery mess up their whole day.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep rip it happens alot. That is why I have an onboard charger and I still check before I leave home. Plus if the batteries stay charged makes them last longer.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I always put the charger back on as soon as it gets disconnected from the truck. If it sits more than a week, the trickle charger goes on it a few days before I plan to go out again and it's always ready to go in a moments notice.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    so what your saying bubbakat is that it is better for your batteries to have a onboard charger plugged in whenever your not on the water?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is absolutely correct. If a battery doesn't have to fight the ups and downs of a charge when not in use it will last a long time.
    I replaced both my batteries last year and they were 10 years old. One of them went bad and the other I use in my little flat bottom now.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    bubbakat i have a on board charger on my boat. i left them plugged up alot and it made the cells go dry. mine is a 2003 boat i had to put three new batteries in this year.(deep cycle interstate batteries) i guess a person should keep a check on the fluid levels also with these on board chargers. i have a lund prov and i have to take the rod box out to get to mine. im still running the cranking battery which is not hooked up to the on board charger. i have four batteries(2 trolling 1 bait tank and 1 cranking)

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I also have an onboard charger, they are great. The only time mine is not connected to the outlet is when I'm fishing.

8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Note to self: Get off your lazy duff and get that onboard charger mounted and in use.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

The only way that could charge it enough to run the cells dry is that the charger is defective. I have the one that float charges. It won't charge after the batteries get charged so much then it only charges the battery that is low.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Yea those things aren't worth a durn in the box are they?:)

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you may have something there i did have the charger changed out under warr. the first year. mine is a three bank that has the red lights and then turn green when chargered. i got to thinking after posting maybe those batteries had a lot of shelf life on them at the dealership too.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael you are most likely right about the shelf life. I have found out that they don't put the best batteries in out of the lot equipment.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Another route to go.
    Last summer I bought a Vector Smart 2/10/20 amp charger from Walmart for like $60. I was going to put an onboard in my boat, but with the ridding mower, 4 wheeler and general Car stuff, I wanted a more versital one. Its no where near as convienant as the on-board but Im pretty happy with it.
    Not only charges but also does Batt Diags, Alternator Voltage Checks, and Batt reconditioning/Desulfate.
    Garunteed not to boil or overcharge you Batt...
    Wont kick on if clamp polarity is wrong (wrong cable on wrong post)
    Been a real good charger...

And yes, keep your batt's charged or they eat themselves up. Fastest way to ruin a batt is let it sit uncharged....

Also, dont store your Batt on a concrete floor.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Catfishrus,:An "ONBOARD"charger does not mean maintenace free.If you have the liquid electrolyte type of battery you must monitor the cells and add water as necessary.If you switch to maint free batteries such as AGMs you wont have to add anything.The most common reason batteries go bad is SULFATION which clogs the plates and stops the electrolyte from passing through the plates.The BIGGEST cause of sulfation is letting the batteries sit without immediately recharging them.There are solar powered chargers that will de sulfate batteries and I use them frequently.They are "Pulse"chargers that send minute jolts of juice thru the cells to knock the sulfation off.You can buy at Wallyworld a liquid product by MINNKOTA that you put in the cells which removes sulfation.The pulse charger brand name is SOLARGIZER and they have a website.Some good chargers have an EQUALIZATION phase that de sulfates,but they are expensive.Finally the concrete floor thing is an urban legend from the past which had some validity 30-40 years ago.Most battery manufactures will tell you that battery cases are so much better and thicker that there is no discharge problem on any surface.Both TROJAN Batteries and West Marine have excellent websites that will provide you with everything you ever wanted to know about the different types of batteries and chargers available.:)

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, I admit it. I'm a boat moron. Just got my first boat and still haven't had it in the water yet, which I hopefully will remedy this coming weekend. I have one battery for the motor, navigation lights, and bilge pump, and 1 battery for the yet to be installed trolling motor. Right now, I have the motor's battery hooked up to a plain jane simple charger that I use for lawn mower batteries or if the car battery gets real low. What onboard charger would you suggest, and how should I hook everything up so that I don't have to constantly connect/disconnet items such as the nav lights and bilge pump?

16. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Well Tony, first off and this is assuming that you have the proper switches, fuses, and circuit breakers in your electrical system you should never have to connect and disconnect your lights, bilge pump or other electrical equipment.

On my boat I have two batteries: A starting battery that is connected to the motor only. I have a thing about not trusting alternators on boats gained from long experience and proving to my self that if anything can go wrong it will.
    The second battery is my house battery (borrowed term from RV world) which provides all the power to my electronics, lights, etc. I do not have a trolling motor but if I did it would be hooked up to this battery too.

As for what type of onboard charger you would need: On board chargers are built to charge one battery per "bank". If you have two batteries you need a two bank charger. If you have three batteries you need a three bank charger. Most on board chargers share their charging outputs between banks, that is to say that if one battery is fully charged the charging power from that bank is diverted for use on the other bank. I have a MinnKota model MK210 charger. It does not have a real high output but will suit my needs since I seldom need real fast recharges, like in a matter of hours.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK MORON,;) OOOPs TONY,go to the websites in my previous posts and make yourself smart on batteries and chargers.Cabelas catalog has many chargers listed and what they do.Generally a straight automotive charger is not very satisfactory for deep cycles because of the different types of charges needed.You also dont say what kind of batteries you have wet cell,Gel,or AGM.Charging a Gel with an automotive charger is a sure recipe for disaster.:eek: Even the on boards have different capabilities usually related to price.You will need,as Oldprowler said a 2 bank charger if you don't want to have to switch between batteries.Please ensure the plug is in before you launch the boat.I would hate to read "MORON drowns in boating accident" on Mon morning.:) :p :cool: ;) :)

18. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey jim, the stuff at wal mart your talking about, do you just put it in the cells. i will be getting a good charger, after i recoop from getting my boat water ready. but i have a expensive battery given to me, but it wasnt realy taken care of. might help to put some of this stuff in until i can get a good charger.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Yes you put 1 oz in each cell if I remember right.Its in a plastic bottle with a pour spout and its made by Minnkota.Be sure a wear eye protection any time you open wet cells and pour anything in.:)

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Disconnect the cable before popping the caps too....
    Fumes highly Flammable.. I've actually seen an old neighbor have one go boom when he was topping his off.. His screwdriver fell onto positive post and sparked.... Had to run over and hose his eyes out.... He got lucky.