Charcoal to remove amonia

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by nanny patrol, May 19, 2009.

1. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Ive read in several places that filtering your tank water through charcoal will remove he amonia produced by bait fish. Where is a good place to get this charcoal and would regular BBQ charcoal (chemical free) work for this or is there some special stuff I need to get? Thanks for the help.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Walmart, fish dept.. its cheap....

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Activated charcoal (the kind used in aquariums) doesn't remove ammonia from the water. Don't waste your money on it.

In an established aquarium, there are bacteria that convert ammonia into less-harmful substances (nitrite and nitrate). In a bait tank, you don't have enough of those bacteria to do anything useful so you have to change the water regularly if you want your bait to stay alive.

For short term bait keeping, there are chemical products available (at the local pet shop) that will help remove ammonia. But your best defense is regular water changes. Don't use city water either, of course, since it has clorine in it and will kill your bait.

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Mr.T.. I now have a new boat with a live well in it. If I keep it open do I have to use anything to keep the bait alive? Will the water turn so to speak if you are sitting still?

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Activated charcoal removes Chlorine ; )

You need a amonia blocker.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 55 gallon plastic drum I use for a bait tank. I use a swimming pool pump. A home made sump filter, and a home made carbon wash filter. I have fish in it almost all year. I only add ammonia/chlorine remover when I fill it in the spring. The carbon I use has an ammonia remover in it. They sell it at wal-mart. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5272

7. buckmaster27012

buckmaster27012 Member

State:
    Virginia
    This ammo carb you use, do you also only change it out once in the spring?