Characterizations of characters:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Oct 13, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have always enjoyed characters, those people who defy the norms, whether nuts or sane. Eccentric they are sometimes called. They have always intrigued me and I have hung around them and enjoyed their company, more so than so called normal people. I have a long inventory of them but let me give you two examples. You might have some stories too.

We moved back to Iowa from Chicago in 1985 to the country. I stayed away from town for 3 years hardly venturing in unless for groceries or farm supplies, so I didn't get to know the community very well. After those 3 years, going broke, I had to go to town and get a Vet. job with a classmate of mine doing small animal work. Winter of 1987 came. I was in the clinic exam room and looked out to the driveway and saw a jalopy pull in with smoke coming out the rear end. My God I thought that guys car is on fire and he doesn't know it. I called one of the girls, she looked outside and smiled. "That's Frank" we shall call him. "He needs something for one of his dogs." Come to find out, Frank lived in a woebegone little town west of us by himself. One broke down gas station, a bar and a guy who did welding. It was one of our more celebrated "inbred" towns. Frank lived in the country by himself in a half pull behind trailer, half stick built house with a coupla dogs. He only came to town once every two weeks to buy beer, dog food and groceries. He came into the clinic and needed something. I couldn't stop from asking why his car was smoking from the roof. "That's my heater" he said. "Let me show you." We went out and looked in the rear. Frank's car heater was broken, as was almost everything on the car. The rear seat had been removed and a little pot bellied stove bolted to the floor. The stack went through the roof and stuck out the top about 3 inches with a cute little handmade cap on top. He was burning nice red and white elm. "I get cold real easy" he said. "When I have to come to town I stoke up the stove and let the car get warm and come to town. Works real nice" he said. "When it's real cold at home and I can't get my place warm, I'll stoke up the car and sleep in it. So much for character number one.

This next guy was a little different. He had transportation problems but of another kind. Again in the clinic at another time, I noted the days work. Normal stuff but I did note that a guy named "Pete" needed his dog vaccinated, but do it in the parking lot. Along came "Pete" and it was one of those double takes too. One of the girls again was watching me. She laughed. "Pete" has had multiple OMVI's and that is the only way he gets around. "Pete" drove in in a little two wheeled cart, orange flag on it and a slow moving sign. Harnessed to the cart, between shafts was one on the largest brindled Great Danes I had ever seen. This wasn't one horsepower, this was one dogpower. "Pete" lived in the country only the opposite direction from "Frank" , about 2 miles. "Pete" came to town more frequently. He would go to a bar or bars and get tanked, and the dog wound take him home without hardly a word said. "Pete" had a buggy whip, but I never saw him use it, and the dog was one of the nicest dogs I have worked with. Tanked or sober the cops never bothered "Pete". I think they were afraid of the dog.

Postbeetle

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother John;
    After reading this post of yours I sat back in my chair and something came to mind that my late father told me back a century ago when I was just a young pup.
    He said: "Son, it takes all kinds to make the world go around".
    I believe this is something he would say applies to your two stories!:wink::big_smile::smile2: Thanks For Sharing.
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks John, those two very good examples of characters. We have some characters up here as well. We call them Allen-towners. About 25 miles further up in the mountains from where i live. I will tell you about them later when i have some time. I have to work this morning for a while and then again tonight.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HEATER IS GIONG IN OUR VAN WANDER IF THE MISSUS WOULD MIND IF I PUT A STOVE IN THE BEAST:roll_eyes:

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    its no surprise that you are interested in "characters". i mean, like draws like... right? opposites only attract in the movies and magnets.

always good to hear your take on things. i reckon youve got a unique perspective due to all of your "character" encounters. definitely shakes things up doesnt it. think of how boring the world would be if everyone was plain. when i have more time ill tell you about some of the "characters" i have crossed paths with.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yea right "Upchunker" like you are a saint and not a character. Get the beads out kid and we will run them together in front of Mother Teresa. Dispensation is the better part of valor, jarhead.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    it wont let me rep ya. but i would if i could. lol

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your first story brought back some memories of my childhood. My father had an old car he called the Blue Goose. The heater didn't work either. On cold days, when we had to travel, he would heat bricks, some way wrap them and place on the floor of the car to keep us warm. Country people figured out a way to survive. Enjoyed the stories. Thanks.

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    One of the most memorable characters I ever known was actually one of the smartest men I've ever met. His problem was his addiction to adrenaline. And the inability to turn down a dare. When he was real young, he rode his bike on his parent's roof. Ended up, he got his foot hung in the gutter and almost broke it. Now he's upgraded a little by doing wheelies on his Road King Harley with his wife holding on for dear life on the back. Last stunt I heard of him doing so far was (btw, he's 44 years old) jumping off a sixty foot bluff and into a lake. It won't be the last though... he just aquired his pilot's license and bought a plane just for the hell of it. Which has got everybody wondering, "What the hell is he gonna do next???"

-Red

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    red

i knew a guy like that once. he was also a pilot. my grand-pa knew him some how. he used to take me up with him for my b-day when i was a kid.

one time he was letting me "fly" when i was about 9 years old. we got so close to the tenn. river i almost messed my lil self. a couple years later he tried to fly underneath the power lines next to huntsville hospital... at least he died happy.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    About 25 miles north of me is a town called Allen Town. There is no running water, no electricity no, schools, no business of any kind. Its not on the map and know one knows how many people live there at the present time. One thing that is known is they all have the last name of Allen. These people are self supporting, poor and receive nothing from the government. They choose to live the way they do and ask no one for anything. Most of there homes are log cabins they have built and old wore out mobile homes. There main source of income is selling wood off the considerable amount of land that they own. Driving through Allen town is like turning back the clock 100 yrs. They are not a cult. Usually the only time you see them is when there delivering fire wood or going to the local laundry-mat in the winter time. Ive seen them bring in a whole pickup load of laundry at one time. It was at the laundry mat that i meet Bob Allen. His wife who is 70 yrs. old and several other elderly ladies were carrying in laundry and had dropped a very large bag. I got up and started helping them carry there laundry in. When we got done Bob and i went outside, Bob thanked me and shook my hand. His grip almost put me to my knees, i instantly liked Bob, regardless of the fact that his beard, that BG would have been envious of, was tobacco stained. His coveralls looked like the hadn't been washed in a month and he smelled of sweat and dirt. Bob liked to talk and i like to listen. Bob is what i call real people, the kind of man with more wisdom and insight that a 100 college professors. After saying so-long to a man that i felt id known for a lifetime, i got in my truck and the song, A country boy can survive was playing on the radio. I grinned all the way home!!

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Steve, amazing that smell of dirt and sweat ain't it. I have known it all my life. If they could bottle that you could do two things. Sell it in Paris as a new fashion scent or use it as a deer attractant. It would be expensive too. Some people can make their own pretty cheap but with a lot of effort.

13. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    One of my favorite characters is a very good friend. She is the only living person I've ever known that has tried to milk a bull.

14. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The story about the heater brought back a memory. When I was sixteen, my Grandpa gave me a rusty 1967 Bug, Now as ya'll know, air cooled engine dont give off much in the way of tranferable heat (i.e keepin' your butt warm)

those that had old bugs know what im talkin about, a red lever and a black lever between the seat to funnel heat up, well, this old bug had none.

So being the creative fool i was at sixteen, I hung a coffee can off the dash, filled it half full of dirt and started burning lighter fluid in it for defrosters

Im sure many a folk dubbed me the local idiot seeing me drive by with a flame in the window....sure was nice to be young and stupid :wink:

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ugghhh!!! Okay:oops: Did she---Oh never mind!!

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I am just so glad that this thread has made it this far with not one mention of my name.