Chaparral Lake....

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by usmarine, Apr 11, 2008.

1. usmarine

usmarine New Member

State:
    az
    Hey guys/gals;

Long time fisherman here, but new to AZ. Actually been in the PHX area for five years, but just got back in fishin' since my oldest son is now seven, and has a real jones for going.

We live in Snottsdale, so we've been going to Chaprarral lake thus far. Been about five times, and haven't caught a damn thing. One of the five was at night, and we had several hits on our lines that night, got one to the water's edge, where the cat broke the line (and my son's heart).

Anyway, I'm looking for anyone who has fished chaparral. They stock it regularly, it has a max depth of 15', and is of course, man made (about 25 years ago). I see others catching cats, and have approached a few for tips--nothing revelational.

Anything you can give me will help; I'm dying to get my boy his first fish!

We plan on hitting it tonight. Made up some new stickbait this week: shrimp pieces and chicken livers: cured with pepper, garlic salt, and cinammon.

TIA, JJ:embarassed:

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Go to the store and buy a carp or buffalo fish. Keep the fish fresh. When you get to the lake chop up some really small chunks. Smaller than you plan on using for bait. Then toss them out in the water. Chum it a tad. Enough to draw them in but not feed them too much. Cut some slightly bigger peices about 1/2" X 1/4" bait up and toss it out. I'd use power pro 50lb or 65lb and a good sharp 1/0 hook. Hook the cut bait only through one corner and leave the hook exposed. This should catch you some cats. HTH

3. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Powerbait for trout usually works well in the urban lakes

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC its great to have you aboard

5. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    If you want your boy to catch a catfish a that lake buy some cheese filled hot dogs and cut it into pieces big enough to cover the hook. Put a split shot on it just heavy enough to get it where you want and set the hook. It's a pretty clean lake so you won't need heavy gear. 10 # test will work just fine..
    Good luck

6. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    I've been fishing there a lot lately. Because bartlet is still really cold. I was pretty surprised since they been stocking me and my buddy have been killing them there. We have limited out twice we probably caught 25 cats or so. There good to eat had some good fish fries already. All of are fish have been caught on anchovies heads and cut mackerel. Use 10lb leader or you'll might be surprised. We've had 3 6+lbers and have both broken off fish with 10lb leader. Use a 1/0 or 2/0 hooks also. What the chummer said will help out a lot too.

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I usually use cheese hotdogs. Shrimp, anchovies, worms, etc. One trick I do know works on urban lakes since the bottoms are so clean, is to slowly reel your bait in. What this does is it leaves a "flavor trail" that the cats can smell and follow your bait. Just reel like 6 inches at a time every so often. Ive outfished my friends 3 to 1 using this method.

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    My favorite channel bait is 2 minnows on a double hook sliding sinker rig top hook 2 minnows on the bottom, bottom hook 2 minnows with a marshmellow to float them up off the bottom. Wiggling minnows are killer. Chum corn and cast your minnow rig and wait for the action. 10 lb test is good because channels are sensative to heavy line.

9. usmarine

usmarine New Member

State:
    az
    thanks to all who replied. The help on this board is great.

I didn't get any of the replies before I went last night, however. We did get one, finally, and she was big for that lake (or so I'm told). About a 8 pounder, maybe 18 inches long. The whole cat (top, and underneath) was as white as a ghost (no she wasn't dead!).

Got it using stink bait I made (chicken livers, cinnamon, garlic salt, pepper - cured by sitting in the AZ sun for 24 hours).

We were at Chaparral, on that finger section that sticks out to the right if viewing the map with the correct N>S orientation. We were there from about 1530 to 2030 last night. The cats started hitting it right when the sun went down.

I missed a bunch more of them with my poor technique, but that's half the fun: learning and teaching my son.

Anyway, overall he was thrilled, got some great pics, released the fish safely to the water, and had a great time.

Thanks for all the tips. I intend to use a bunch of them at Chaparral next weekend.

JJ

10. usmarine

usmarine New Member

State:
    az
    Just before signing off, I went to google and did a quick search on different catfish types, trying to find a picture that looked like the one we caught last night.

Well, I found one, and apparently we had an albino catfish. Yep, like I said, I'm fairly new to catfishing, so this was a first for me. I've maybe caught 50 or so cats in a variety of places over the years, but never an albino.

You guys would obviously know the answer to this: are they rare, or no big deal?

Thanks to all.

11. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Well,I've been fishin that lake since I was a kid(long time ago),and we have always loved it!!!Its been thru some changes in the last few years,but still a good lake for cats!!I have caught loads over the years on chicken liver!Thats the stockers, and the regular cats!Cut the liver in half,run the circle hook thru twice and use little weight.Also cast lightly.We give about a foot of slack,when you get a hit,let out some line,let em take it,then nail em!!Good luck,that lake has had a few monster channels and flats over the years! Ive seen many 10-12 lb channels and a few 20+ lb flats!

12. Jou

Jou New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im heading over to Chapparal park tonight to try my luck with some cats there

Last time I was there found out they enforced park closure quite well :smile2:

But anyways, was wondering if you ever fished the evening there? If so, how was the bite?

13. luv2fishaz

luv2fishaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    This lake has recently had a golden algae bloom which is toxic to fish. The game and fish department has treated the lake and plans to restock, for more info you can log on to azgfd.gov. I was there 2 weeks ago and did not do well either. I was at tempe town lake last week and caught a nice 7 pound channel on worms with a bobber set 4 feet above bait @ 2 pm. I hpe this helps get your boy his cat and thanks for serving our country.:001: