Channels when fishing laydowns for flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 24, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    When you are fishing for flatheads in laydowns how much of a problem do you have with channels taking your bait? If you start catching channels around you flathead hole do you move to another hole or change things up as far as bait or presentation?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I do most of my channel fishing in lakes that don,t have flats.A lot of it,s by wood too.I use my flat rigs but drop my hook down to a 5/0 Big Gun hook.When I,m fishing the rivers where there,s both,I just use different baits.I,ll put livers on for the wife or cutbait,she likes channels.I,ll use live gills for the flats,I,ll have her channel rods out in a little more current,but I,ve caught em both within 20 feet of each other.:wink:.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Normally the Flathead will control the hole. If you do have repeated problems with channel. Go to a larger live bait. Exp: Big Gills.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Most of the time if I'm fishing in an area that I know holds big flats and I'm catching channel. I put out 2 or 3 poles with big ( 5 or 6") live bait then just keep catching channels. If the channels quiet biting it may be the flatheads are moving in to feed.