Channels still spawning?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Aug 4, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Since there was no body fishing at Oakland Mills this weekend I decided to try my favorite bridge last night.
    I caught 1 flathead about 3 pounds. Thats it.
    No other bites.
    I was using Sonnys, Premos, Shrimp and worms. I didn't even get another bite. Thats kinda strange not catching anything on worms.
    So I'm wondering if its just my bad luck or is it just the late spawn. Those cats too busy to bite??? LOL
    Actually I didn't even catch a carp or drum. Not even a fiddler and I was there 4 hours.
    Anyway are you guys catching anything?
    best 2ya
    just

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    My dad went out Saturday morning with my brother and uncle. They caught 35 between them on stink bait. They put in at McCoon and headed North. I hope to get out next weekend.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have been doing pretty good with channels latley, most caught have been in conjunction with timber, so it's hard to say, a couple have been pretty beat up so they may still be spawning:eek:oooh:

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i doubt they are still spawning, but because of the instability of the rivers this year it could be a late spawn. all I can say is keep trying...using all those baits you were using you'll eventually get something.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Anything is possible, but I doubt they are spawning in large numbers. sounds like you just hit the water when the fish just were not biting. I hope you have better success in the future