Channels on top of channels

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Flamekeeper, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Went fishing yesterday about 10am,with a Friend and on the first cast, fishing 6' with a 4" bluegill under a float.and before I could get to cast the other out I noticed the float go down and then back up..I thought it was the bluegill..then I looked up again and it was gone.LOL. I walked down to the rod and noticed that the line was still limp but the float was still gone.I picked it up figuring that the gill went under something and tightened the line some and nothing happened,then I pulled some and Boy did he take Off! about 10 minutes later he was in the net, weighed and released...31# Flathead..Good way to start the day you know..

After that nothing for 4hrs, We kept seeing little flips on the water close to the bank a little ways down the bank,and we thought it might be some channels schooled up, So mike went down there to see if he could get a hit.. He was there for awhile and nothing happened,:eek:oooh:,and the fish just kept flipping..I was quite a ways from the spot, but I cut up a prawn( you know them long tailed shrimp ) and stuck a piece on a #2 gama and set the depth about 2 1/2' and casted down and across to the other bank , slash right in front of him :smile2:, pulled it out a little till the float stood up and Bam it was gone ,,missed 3 times on the hookup, but the 4th produced a nice 2# channel,then another and another, so I packed up my gear and walked around to where he was at..and told him what I was using for bait and he was using plain stinky 4 day old shrimp,and was not even getting a hit,,he put on some of that fresh prawn and Bam, Bam , Bam , Bam one after another for 6 hrs,:smile2::wink: them fish stayed on that 15' long stretch of rock flat near a drop off, going in and out from 2 1/2' into deeper 8' of water..Started hitting them channels at 2pm and stopped at 8.30pm and we ended up with 73 channels averaging 1 1/2 - 3# each..plus my 31# flathead..Not a bad day at all ..Pics didn't come out that well because of the sun , But I'll never forget this day,,Man we had a blast..

God Bless..Kenny

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is an amazing catch and thanks for sharing with us

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Dude thats a killer day, way to go Congrats.

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    What A Day Thanks For Sharing The Pics And The Story:big_smile:. Congrats On The 31 As Well.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Boy, I hear stories like this and I cant wait to experience it myself. Thanks for sharing the story and pic's...well done.

-Jim-

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good work Kenny sounds like a great outing...

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    That's a nice mess of fish right there and a lot of good eating as well. Great job!

8. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Man we all dream of days like this, heck when I manage to catch four or five I am all pumped up. Good job and thanks for the pic's.
    Mike

9. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow! You've got some eating to do....Need any help?
    Congrats on the stellar day....olj