Channels caught when gar are spawning

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Carwash, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone experenced the unbelievable fishing that occures when the gar are spawning. There's no better time to load the boat with channels when there doing there thing. If anyone has any interest in this I'll tell you my experence with this type of fishing. Maybe you all ready know!

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I find this interesting as a Gar afficionado but goes in with a simmilar experience I see every may when the Im catching tailwater carp with the fly rod. And that is when the carp are spawning, it start with thousands of 1-4 lb carp pushing around all over the place in the tailwaters and I can catch plenty of these smaller carp, but for about 10 days, it seems all the really big carp ( females) show up and all of a sudden, Im catching Channel cats with the fly rod as often as the carp, My theory is that with all the females coming in at the same time, there are eggs everywhere and we proved our theory last year when we hammered the channels on egg patterns! but then once the females are gone, its back to just every once in a while we will pick up channels in this area and then its a lot more smaller carp. all are a blast on the flyrod though.....

Salmonid

3. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In may or early june depending on the water temp the gar and carp close to the same time will spawn. They do lay there eggs in different areas but the concept is the same. I drive around looking for the gar on top and in great numbers, maybe 50 to a 100 in a 50' area. Depth 12" to 36" mostly rock or gravel bottom. The channels will be underneath the gar in great numbers. You an catch 20 to 40 in a 3 hour period. You will spook them after awhile and they wiil return the next morning. Day light is the best. Fish with a bobber 18" deep. Cut shade, worms and minnows work well. I use cut bait (large pieces) and do catch some big channels. Most of the time they run 3 to 10 lbs. AS soon as the bobber hits the water, its gone. Its as good as it gets.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Car Wash, how many Gar do you pick that way, Im suprised the gar let something like a cut shad get past them?

This doesnt suprise me as the Gar ( longnose) will stack up at creek mouths and hold there for 6 weeks while the fish gather before the next good rain pulls them upstream like steelhead. Its only logical that smallies, white bass and channels would gather at these same creek mouths waiting for high water to get them upstream for spawning.
    Is this what you encountered?

Salmonid

5. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The gar when spawning won't touch the bait. In most cases maybe 3 gar all morning. I've even caught flatheads below the gar. I have three good spots where I've fished for 25 years and every year its the same. You can check on sunday and its quite and on monday morning they've arrived. It makes no sense. If the lake rises more than 6 foot during this time then your out of luck, you'll never find them. They'll spawn somewhere but I never can locate them. You window is small, you'll only have 2 to 3 weeks and its over. One of these spots is a rock pile left from an old farmstead when they filled the lake. Its about 60' in diameter. White Bass, channels, crappie, carp and gar all spawn in this area. You have to know when to be there. I've sit there and caught 2 to 3 lb white bass every cast. The best is when the gar are there and next best when the carp are spawning. Theres a river channel that runs about 100 feet from the rock pile, that helps.

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Can't say that I've noticed that before. Might check that action out sometime this early spring. Thanks

7. WR Bell

WR Bell New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had some of the best catfishing in the manskers creek while the gar are spawning have had a few Zebcos ripped to shreds by 5 and6 foot gars. You never know what you may hook up with during this time.

8. WR Bell

WR Bell New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whats up warcraft

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for the tip, carwash. I never gave this much thought, but I will now.