Channel VS Blue catfish in South Carolina waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Apr 1, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    based on yall's fishing expierience...does a cold front affect one fish spiecies more than the other or not at all...how drastic does the front have to be for it to affect either spiecies...and lastly (for now) does it affect lake fish different than river fish??

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would say blues, but that is only because they can be the more difficult species to catch. Usually you can convince a channel cat to bit faster than a blue. As for how adverse, I would say as long as there is a barometric pressure change it will affect the bite, and the affect will be caused by the pressure drop.

I have found the msot consistent fishing to be during a period of a steady barometer. The begin of fall is a good time for a bite, but timing that out can be tough. If you happen to be fishing when it happens then you are lucky. Too far into it and the bite can slow down.

With all that said, it does not stop me from fishing. Fish will eat either way, it is just that the ferocity will change. I fish when I can, not when the weather dictates a good bite. I like to fish in a bad barometer so I have an excuse to not catch them!!!! :lol:

I read a LOT of saltwater magazines on fishing, but I only fish saltwater about 1-2 times a year. The reason I study them is because there are a lot of fishing techniques that have been perfected by offshore anglers that apply to freshwater, especially catfish. I found an article in one of my favorite saltwater magazines about the barometer and you can read it here:
    http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/fishing/article/0,12746,462078,00.html

Talk to ol' LakeNormanBlues, he can smell when the barometer is falling!!!

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks wyliecat...very informative...i really apreciate it !!!

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I have NO Clue.:lol:

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro., Friday (3-30-07) the barometric presure was 30.14 and my party caught 18 cats, the largest was 23.5 and second largest was 15 pounds. Saturday, I had four people in my boat for a striper and catfish outing. The barometric presure had just begun to fall and we only caught 9 cats and lost two nice ones. Friday the presure (over 30) had been steady for two days or more and Saturday the presure had just started to drop. So, what WylieCat told you was fairly on target. But, you gotta fish when you can make the time, unless you are retired, then you can fish all you want as long as you take care of your honey do's. BE CAREFUL OUT THAR WHILE YOU'LL ARE FISHING, YOU HEAR!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am sure most of you have heard the old fishermen say;

Wind from the north, no need to go forth
    Wind from south, blows the bait in their mouth
    Wind from the east, fish bite the least
    Wind from the west, fish bite the best

Most fishermen know this is a fairly accurate saying, but the truth is that it really has little to do with the wind. The actual bite effect is caused by the pressure system that is typically associated with these winds.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Two different ways to phraze this one. Wind from the east fish bite the least OR Wind from the east fish bite like a beast.I like the 2nd one better.I dont think wind plays as much of a role as preesure does either.I caught my biggest tournament 5 fish stringer in a 20+ mph north east wind.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I have caught 'em in a driving North wind in February and struck out when it was blowing gently from the West. Sayings like that can make you feel better when you wear the collar on what you thought was going to be a good day. I will have to say that cloudy days in general are better than days with clear blue sky and bright sunshine.

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i do agree with y'all...you need to fish when time allows you to do so...if you got the time then just go but it's good to know what your up against with the fronts, wind , etc...i appreciate everyone's help on this one.