Channel Rig

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Brian Moyse, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I made some of these channel rigs over the winter and finally got out last Sunday to give them a try. It worked really well in the current, and the channels bit it well. I used both cut bait and crawlers on it. I used some floats to keep it off the bottom, a deep cup Colorado blade that will spin in slow current and some beads.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Brian

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Folks sell a catfishes eye site short too many times. Everyone thinks its all smell and taste that they feed by. Good lookin rig.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice looking rig.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you would think with how many channel cats are caught on a walleye rig, more people would use rigs like that. good looking setup!

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use something similar but not as colorful.

6. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When the water is clear enough for them to see, they'll use their eyes. They have been hitting crankbaits up this way recently, which is a big surprise to walleye fishermen here. They think they have a ten pound walleye on, and it turns out to be a three pound channel cat.

They might not use their eyes that much, but only because they don't have to. Every sense that a catfish has is well-developed.

I like the spinner. It will add some vibration and flash, and thats almost never bad.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Looks good Brian, Should work well. The only thing I would change is the hook type.

8. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    What type of hook would you suggest?

Thanks,

Brian

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Brian, if you like or would like to try circle hooks try an 8/0 gamakatsu or a 10/0 owner. Both of them are really good hooks as long as you have the patience to let the rod load up.

If you are the type that likes to jerk then go to an eagle claw 7/0 nickel plated kahle up to a 10/0 black pearl king kahle. 7/0,8/0,9/0 and 10/0's are all great catfish hooks. The nice thing about them is you can lock your reels down and let the rod load up or you can set your clickers to free spool and jerk as hard as you want to. Just match bait size to hook size.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a good rig brian!
    i used to fish off bridges a lot in my younger days and had a rig of my own for that. like you, i like to tinker a tweak stuff. what i did was take a coat hanger and bend it like a bottom bouncer(im too cheap to buy this stuff and i didnt know of any long enough) the bottom leg was 16-20in. long, with a 2 ounce egg sinker up an in. the top leg was 6in long with the end flattened hole drilled and snap swivel attached. off that i had a walleye rig like yours. the vibes really seamed to help when they were on the feed plus it picked up bass n pike on cut bait frequently. same thing as a dropper rig without the tangles cats can make.