Channel Cats Ready to Spawn ......

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, May 29, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I cleaned the channel cats that Tony and I caught today ... 4 of them had eggs in them .... By examing the eggs sacks I believe that the channels should start spawning within the week. The eggs in one fish looked like they were fully developed with heavy blood vesels running through the membrane. This is usually a pretty good sign of maturity of the eggs. The other 3 weren't far behind in developement .... so the time is at hand. I believe in Buckeye they will start this weekend or the first of next week ... lakes or creeks with water somewhat cooler than the 71 degrees of Buckeye could be a few days later, but I am sure no later than 2 weeks. ...... Garry- :cool2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is very interesting, I would not have thought the water temp was high enough yet. Thanks for the info

3. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i have a feeling they are really close to spawning on the Tusc River too............they are full of eggs and they totally quit biting this week ...........last week they were hammering just about any bait that you used !!!

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I believe with the cold spells we are having up north here, the spawn is going to be very spread out too. The spawn may last a bit longer than normal.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    They say Channels need a water temp of 75-80 to start the spawn. Soon,,with high water below the spillways is my FAVORITE time & place to get bigger Channels in Ohio

:wink:

6. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    I noticed some like that a few days back and have caught some Flatties with the big bellies now any body have any ideas bout the Flathead spawn? I went last night and got skunked and usually catch atleast one there even if it's small I was at the ohio river near Steubenville any ideas guys?:eek:oooh:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught channel cats full of eggs as early as mid april, and as late as september.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jack .... I have caught channels with eggs in them I think every month of the year .... but the determining factor is the maturity of the eggs and the size of the sack. I don't know for certain, but it is my experience that once the female has laid her eggs ... it is but a short time before another egg sack begins to develope and it takes some months for this to happen and then all of the right temps and conditions must be present before the eggs are laid. Not all fish will lay their eggs at the same time ... I am sure this has to do with the age and maturity of fish as well as many environmental conditions. Garry-

9. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    I have also been catching the big full of eggs belly female channels of the river the last couple of weeks.They have always spawned around june in my part of the woods.But last weekend i was fishing Pike island had just landed an 7lb flathead and was getting ready to release it when a land down the pier ask to see it,so i held it up one last time to show her and it coverd my hand and the rail with alot of clear to yellow color slim.i have been sprayed by many blue gill but never a cat. lol

10. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    :wink:i did'nt know thats ..thanks

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Welcome to BOC ... Jake .....! Garry- :cool2:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

Im in eastern PA, I got a 19" channel yesterday that was the same way. The spawn is nearly at hand here. makes me wonder if I caughter her at 1pm from shore because she's feeding heavy before breeding or was my guess at this new spot using topo's part skill? Hmmm......