channel cats on mud flats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 15, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    was wondering if when the water temp heats up on the shallow flat if the cats that are wintering in the deeper water will move up on this flat as soon as the water on the flat heats up or will they wait for a change in the deeper water temp to move up on this flat.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think they'll follow the food. In early spring as the shad move onto the shallow, warmer water the more active cats won't be far behind. I've caught lots of channels in 37 deg water so they're not shy about feeding in cold temps.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The catfish will first move to the shallow water where the winter killed shad will be pooled. Typically on the down wind side of the waterbody or any backwaters on river systems. This year may be quite different, since we have not really experienced a large shad kill.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They will move to the shallow flats for sure as soon as the flats warm up, a warm rain also helps.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup, that's where I go immediately following a warm spring rain. Blues, flats, channels...doesn't matter. They go where the bait is, and the bait is chasing bugs and worms in the newly inundated vegetation.