Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,323 Posts
I fish only for channel cats here in Utah. My time is about done as water temps are about 44 degrees now but 2 weeks ago when they were still 50 we had to change a few things. We had to downsize our hook size and definitely the bait size. We still trolled for them but we had to decrease our spreed from 0.7 down to 0.3 mph. We went from being able to use an assortment of bait to using only fresh cut bait. Those are things that we had to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fished more upstate NY but cut panfish worked best for me in the fall. They seemed to hit the shrimp/crawlers less for me around this time of year. The fresher the better
THat's the info I was looking for. Fresh cut bait is always a staple, but I thought in the colder weather they might change. I guess I can leave the nightcrawlers at home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fish only for channel cats here in Utah. My time is about done as water temps are about 44 degrees now but 2 weeks ago when they were still 50 we had to change a few things. We had to downsize our hook size and definitely the bait size. We still trolled for them but we had to decrease our spreed from 0.7 down to 0.3 mph. We went from being able to use an assortment of bait to using only fresh cut bait. Those are things that we had to do.
I'll try it and see if it works. Hopefully I'll get out before November.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Ya never know. Bring some along. I was only targeting the bigger 10-20lb channels. If you're trying to catch fun fish in between or eaters I'd definitely keep a rod or two out with crawlers. Be sure o downsize your cut bait as well with the temps getting lower
THat's the info I was looking for. Fresh cut bait is always a staple, but I thought in the colder weather they might change. I guess I can leave the nightcrawlers at home.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Red worms are a great cold water bait, They milk in the water really good. Plus cut shad is really good too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya never know. Bring some along. I was only targeting the bigger 10-20lb channels. If you're trying to catch fun fish in between or eaters I'd definitely keep a rod or two out with crawlers. Be sure o downsize your cut bait as well with the temps getting lower
What cut bait do you use. There are a ton of small cats 4". Do you use them or blue gill. Also, do you hook them in the tail, dorsal fin, or the mouth. I know there are advantages to each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.