Channel cats in great supply on GMR...

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish-fever, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have already caught over 200 pounds of catfish for 2009. I went last night and tried a spot in the riffles that produced a lot of cats for me in the summer of 2008. I wasn't expecting to catch much, but I think the geese may have migrated some of the Red river cats to Ohio. These cats are just as strong and active as those I caught in the warmer water. I caught 7 fish all over 2 pounds. I was using cut creek chubs that I caught on rod and reel a few days earlier. I cut the chubs and put them in one of those ziplock vacuum bags and froze them. Those channels were definately active in that riffle current. Also, the day I was fishing for the bait... I caught a 4 lb 10ounce Saugeye on a wax worm.

Attached Files:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats awesome man glad you had a good day out, and welcome to the BOC.:wink:

3. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome catfish what part of the river are you fishing moraine,dayton,westcarollton,troy?????????

4. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So far I have focussed on the stretch of river between Miamisburg and Middletown. I plan to make some trips south of Hamilton this year to see if I can find some bigger channel cat.

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Channels are usually active in that area, did pretty well last summer down by the powerplant, caught a couple leatherbacks in that area too lol. Never have nailed a flat head in the GMR yet...may be a goal for this summer. Congrats on the good outing, lookin forward to hearin more reports.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Shepard road power plant dp&l good place yes they are plenty of shovelhead in that area rick