Channel Cats for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bnewsom71, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Here is one that I have never heard of - Small channel cats for flathead bait. Can anyone claim this as true? If so, can you provide info on preparing them if any is necessary. I would think clipping fins would be good. Not sure. Anyone? Thanks guys!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    They are great bait for Flatties. I've used them up to almost a pound. I just hook them like any other live fish and throw them out and wait. I have 3 in my 55 gal. aquarium that were really small when I got them and within a month or so they have grown about 3" more and are starting to get the little black spots. Once they get about 6-8" I'm taking them fishing....:wink::smile2:

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks for the info John!

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In some states this is illegal.

If you have bullheads just use those if legal in your area.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    It is illegal here in Ca. However I can tell you that I have found channel cats in the bellies of flathead and even in a very large smallmouth bass I caught last year. Think of it this way if it swims, a flathead will eat it.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It is one of the best baits you can use. . As is any live fish drum are also a favorite for flatheads. Here in Tn we can use any fish as long as its legal size and counted toward our daily limit. We can even use smallmouth bass if we care to .
    pete

7. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Illiegal in missouri also! No doubt flatties will eat em though. Had about a 2-3 pound channel last year on my trot line that had the skin peeled off from about 3 inches above it's tail and you could see the drag marks from teeth that started a couple inches above that!! sure wish i would of cought whatever did that:crazy:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a very interesting post, I have never tried to use channels for bait. Thanks for posting

9. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Pete,
    You have actually caught something on a drum?? I have quit using them for bait, I can't get them eaten as cut bait or live. I have fished little 4-6" drum on trotlines and end up throwing them back, when small bream will get eaten off most of the time.

Maybe its the gar don't like them:smile2:

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes scrap a few scales off the sides. And then cut a little gash toward the tail and its happy time.
    Pete

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Man Shilo I am jealous for sure! I wish I could use smallmouth bass here. I can rack up 8 or 10 of those buggers alot easier than bluegill most days and they'd be a little larger too. Catching 1 year bass is pretty easy in the canals around here.

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    PLEASE, PLEASE don't use channels for bait. They require very specific breeding conditions and can easily be fished out in smaller waters. We are Catfishermen ( and women) Don;t use our targeted fish for bait....

13. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i have never tried them, but even if i wanted to most of the ones i catch seem to be a pound or more. as the guys said above a flathead will eat almost anything that will fit in its mouth. i like sunfish,chubs but suckers are my fav

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know a flattie will eat channels. i can't use them because of the legality issue, but bullheads fill the bill just fine.

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Wish we had bullheads here.... I am stuck with Bluegill Talapia and carp for bait. Catching carp small enough to use for bait is pretty tough though.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yes, I do like to use a good bullhead for bait, especially on those all night trips of bank fishing. That flathead will hit it eventually