Channel cats and circle hooks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tnkatman, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can Anyone Tell Me What Is A Good Size Circle Hook To Catch Channel Cats ? Is A 6/0 To Big ?

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use 5/0 -7/0 they work great.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think you can go wonrg a a 6/0 Gammy Oct Circle for Channels

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Thanks Everyone For Your Advice, Just Bought Me Some 6/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks, I Will Let You Know How They Work Out For Me.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've landed a good number of 8-10# & one 14.12# on 0/4. I've used 0/6 and they worked well also.

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use the 6/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. they work great for channels of any size. i like to use a fresh pice of bluegill, especially the head with it hooked between the eyes.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck i catch 8 to 11 pound channels on 3/0 octopus circles.I think the size of the hook depends on the bait your using.

8. engine35

engine35 New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I depends on what size channels you're targeting. If you are going for big ones, use larger hooks such as 5/0 up to 8/0.
    I like to use big hooks because they hook the jaw/corner of the mouth better and I put bigger bait on them so the small ones can't fit it in thier mouths. But remember always have plenty of exposed hook. Do not bury the hook in the bait.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    your right on the $. i use 5/0 to 7/0 for channle catfishing on the lake. works great for me. i had tons of pic's on the old board in my pic section of channels caught on 5/0 to 8/0 circles from mustad to diachhi and gam's and eagleclaw. ;)

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've caught channels on #6 long shank offset mustad hooks when bluegill fishing. Most of the time, for cats, I use Gamatsu 2/0 octopus hooks or VMC 2/0 circles, also use kahles in #4 to 2/0. Most of my channels have been in the 2-5 lb range and have had no problem hooking up with these hook sizes. Of course, bigger hook means bigger baits.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never really try fishing with circle hooks. I have only caught one catfish on a circle hook, maybe I should try again.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I agree with using the correct size of hook according to the size of your bait. I'll use a 4/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hook with a 2" or 3" black perch. 6/0 or 7/0 with a 4" to 5". Typically I always use circles for blue cats and flathead...because I'll be releasing some...and the circle hook prevents mortal injuries by hooking them most times in the corner of the mouth. However if I'm fishing for channel...I'll be eating them nine times out of ten. In this case IMO nothing beats a #2 or #4 Excalibur rotating treble hook. Trebles also hold chicken liver or gar eggs on the hook better than any single hook will. The only thing is that the fish do swallow the hook alot and there's also alot of gill hooked fish. They will usually die from the wound. But if you're cleaning the fish anyway...it doesn't matter.

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I've used 4/0 Circles with livers and dip baits for channels. Haven't used anything bigger while going after eaters.

Ray

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught alot of channels on 8/0 gama octopus circles while flathead fishing...If I am just targeting channels I will use 5-6/0 circles.

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

4-5-6/0 all work well for channles

16. daniel472001

daniel472001 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Gamakatsu 4/0 to 6/0 Octopus circle .

17. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

i use 5/0 to 7/0 gamakatsu

18. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Catsforuandme...... That looks like a citation channel nice catch.
    Hey CJ 21..... I use Gamakastsu Octopus circle hook from 5 - 8, ever since i
    switched to them I've landed 90% of my fish, Its all in not setting the hook
    you just keep tention, hold back on the rod and reel and its hooks them in the side jaw. I love them..

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 4/0 or 5/0 for channels