channel catfishing this time of the year

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bigcatman, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    is the channel catfishng any good this time of the year in small ponds and if so whats the best way to catch them and what bait would be good to use and when do they stop biting or do they stop for the winter

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Channels are definatley still biting right now. In a small pond, it might be as simple as nightcrawlers. Depending on the water temp, might be better to fish the bottom as well. If you aren't getting them on crawlers, try some sort of cut bait. Channels will usually bite anything in smaller ponds. Good luck

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    One more thing, I have caught channel cats all through the winter as well in larger bodies of water. May be different in a smaller place. Not much of a biologist, but I catch them all winter. I am sure someone else will chime in with some better info

4. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ye3s you should start using cut bait a live bait like frogs and maybe worms and cast it near shore or near the banks becasue we haven't had much rain

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    if the pond has a dam then i would try fishing off that bank first.....typically is the deepest water in pond.........

6. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    well thx that helps out i though they did bite even in the winter but i wasnt for sure so ya but im going to try some of them cut baits and stuff like that becaseu i wont to catch one more before i quit for the winter so i can spend my time hunting

7. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I have been doing great with plain old chicken livers, bite seems a bit light as many runs and less hooked, but am getting lotsa action out of my favorite nearby fishing pond in a park.

8. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It looks like the top man is locking hands in your wrestling pic. 1 point bottom man.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    James,
    Id try the normal stuff for bait,shad, skipjack or bluegill cut or whole. Any of the three id say would work fine im sure. Id think the shad and skipjack cut might be better due to not something they run across to eat in the ponds. Might just be a real treat for them. Give it a try and lets us know how you do. rspd507

10. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    all right well im going to try theses things out thx for all the good info ill let u guys know what worked best once i get some time to go out and fish a little

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    James, I have tossed cement blocks thru the ice on my dad's pond in jan. and feb and caught channels on nightcrawlers. They were as hungry and lively as june fish. The ice was too thin to walk on but to thick to get a bait to sink lol. If you are fishing ice free water, just start in the deeper part don't spend any more than 20 or 30 minutes without a bite. If they are around you'll get bite almost as soon as you set the rod down. Just keep moving, if you have had a few days of stable weather and a little sun they will come up on shallower flats to get the warmth from the sun. Day time is best. Don't bother with night fishing, you'll just end up cold and disenchanted lol. Use whatever baits you like, bigger channels will prefer small live baits like gills, or fresh cut shad and gills. But they can be caught on liver, shrimp, and worms also. I haven't tried any of the punch baits in the winter so I don't know how they preform. The biggest thing is keep moving your bait from depth to depth till you connect. On any given day they will be in a different area, whatever makes them more comfortable, or where they can pick up an easy meal.

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

that is legal in freestyle wrestling.....i think that is what type is in the avatar

13. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    no it either greco or folk wreslting i tried freestyle and it hard stuff ill leave it at that

14. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive been tearing them up in small ponds on cut bluegill and other small baitfish.