Channel catfishing - Cut or Live bait?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by aaron1, Apr 1, 2006.

1. aaron1

aaron1 New Member

State:
    TN
    is cut or live bluegill better for channel cats?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the boc!
    I find for channels that cut bluegill works best.I have alot of sucess on using head.but thats just my opinion.You will probably find that most river fishermen will tell you live bulegill is best but i like it cut.

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I like cut when fishing for cats because you bait stretches further. If you near structure that holds flatties I would throw out a live one on my second pole

4. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Both work, but I like using them live because the channels seem to hit the live ones harder. They really slam those live gills! :)

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man they sure do love live ones! they actually get on your nerves when your tryin to catch flats though. if you use live ones for channels use little half-dollar sized ones, youll hook more cause they arent struggling to woof down a big one when you set. i'd much rather use cut ones, if they arent aggressive they'll hit them before a live gill.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    small chunks seem to really work in early spring. 2-3" pieces seem to be about right. Live I would keep it on the small side. Most channels tend to run smallish. I have never cleaned even a good channel and found a 6+" gill inside them. Acutally Crawdaddys really work well. I take the claws off though.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    First of all :0a25: to the B.O.C. aaron1,

I like using Cut Bluegill when using Bluegills, but Cut Shad works better for me for Channels.
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've caught several channels off live bluegill. They will eat live bluegill, but with cutbait you have more scent dispursing which is gonna attract more fish and faster. One thing I noticed with cut Bluegill, it does'nt have very much oil as baitfish like shad, shinners, skipjack, or chubs, and i think blood and oil is the most important when it comes to channels. So i think you'll be better off with a cut piece of baitfish.

9. woollyswamper

woollyswamper New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Cut bait seems to work well if they are feeding, but when things are slow, that little extra action from live bait helps.

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I catch a lot of channels using shiners.

11. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I like to use cut bait for channels. When I use gills. I like to fillet them and cut up the fillets into chunks about the size of a nickel to a quarter, put 4 or 5 chunks on so they cann't get it off with just one hit. They have to come back 4 or 5 times.

12. CptAhab

CptAhab New Member

State:
    Manitoba, CAN
    Hey Aaron,
    bluegills are something that I don't have a clue about, I don't think that we have them in Manitoba waters. We do have other panfish and I don't know that any of them really make great bait for channels. The goldeye and mooneye that we have are probably more closely related to shad and the suckers that we use generally are pretty large for livebait. Most of the guys I know who fish the same area that I do cut fillets off of the baitfish and cut it into 1" strips, about an 1 1/2" long and thread it onto the hook.
    The only time that I do use livebait is later in the season(August) when we start to use frogs for channels.

13. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have the best luck w/ cut chubs and bluegills, but live bait will work too.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The cut bait will work fine for channels. You will want to mainly use the live ones for flatheads.

15. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught a channel on live goldfish last Saturday. He was only 3# but he hit it hard. I haven't perfected the art of netcasting yet, so I resort to buying goldfish. Cut bait didn't work for me then, but it might this weekend. I will continue to throw both out there, just to broaden my chances.

16. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I like Golden Shinner's in the spring, I get them through the ice in the winter, there about 7 to 8" long then I cut them in 1" stake's plus dont forget the head, that's the first thing I use.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the boc aaron1, I pefer my bait dead, like livers or stink bait. I think u would do better with dead bait.

18. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    cut bait works good small gills work good to.. the heads seem to work best around here...small gills about 2 to 4 inch work great be sure to hook behind the top fin they live longer a move better

19. iowain 45-70

iowain 45-70 New Member

i like to use sucker cut up and shrimp works for me.

20. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    The bigger channels around here seem to prefer live or fresh cut bait...I normally use creek chubs.