channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Dusty00021, May 13, 2008.

1. Dusty00021

Dusty00021 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    How's the channel catfishing been for everyone this month. What is your favorite channel catfish bait for the spring time?

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well you know my favorite channel bait cant meat chicken liver in my mind.

3. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    Haven't been out yet but will this weekend. My favorite channel cat bait for numbers is Ben Harthe's stink bait (has diced up shad in it) and for bigger channels I like to use cut green sunfish on limblines.

4. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi-ive been out 3 times this season-i limited out with 2-5 lbers each time-i think fresh chicken livers are best for catching numbers-but uou need a good fresh cut bait to target the larger cats which feed almost entirely on fish-gl to you

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been out 3 times this year and have limited out with cured chicken livers. Nothing to big and all just the right eating size.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    drydocked with a bad water pump. not fished yet. got head gasket on the boat. soon my pretty, sooooooon!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

bait. same as every other time. shad. no more. no less.:wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the BOC. This site is full of good info and great people.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use mainly marinated cut carp, shad, or perch. every now and then we will use liver.

9. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    So far, maybe a little slower on the numbers, but better on size. I have caught them on about everything, including hotdogs. I think when they are biting, it doesn;t matter much. One thing I have noticed is several bites within 1 minute of casting, which seems different. I am going to move the baits more I suppose as a test.
    What do you marinate your carp and bait in, if I may ask? I have used all kinds of stuff. One thread I saw said cologne, I guess I may take some with me as a secret weapon!
    Thanks

10. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I am tearing them up in my area. So far I have 3 over 10lbs. I use cut bait- shad, carp, creek chubs, bluegill whatever. Mainly whatever is in the lake or river that I am fishing. Shad stink but they kick butt for bait.

Attached Files:

11. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Hi Dusty, and welcome, you are among the best of the best here, you'll love The Brotherhood.

I caught my first channel cat of this year 8-1/2lbs (in my avatar) May 3rd on cut bluegill. I catch bigger channels on cut or live bait, and more channels, but smaller ones using a big glob of nightcrawlers.

I have found that catfish are more likely to bite on a bait fish that is found in the same water they live in.

My boyfriend Jeff swears by stinkbait, and catches eater size channels left and right with it.

And I don't want to offend anyone, but I've never caught anything but snapping turtles on chicken livers, unless you are planning on fishing private waters like a pay lake, where they assure you there are none.

Good luck Dusty, let us know what works for you!

:smile2:

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I havent been able to get out any this month because of my health but hopefully before this month ends ill be able to get out and try it, ive heard of some people catching some, I got a few channels that im going to try to hit and fish some, good luck to you on your fishing trips.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice Channels.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    In the springtime I prefer using shad or alewife for catfish bait. Once the water warms up, especially starting in June, I'll use stinkbait like Sonny's, Catfish Charlie and the new one from Team Catfish ( secret 7) dip bait. I will still continue to use shad and live bait in hopes of catching a hog on it.

Mark..:0a26:

15. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Down here in MS they also sell Rooster Livers, which are sure 'nuff tougher than chicken livers. I can't say they catch more, but I was skeptical and haven't really given them a try until now. They stay on the hook real well.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i had to rep that pic. hard to come by one like that but a few a year. i might pick up 4-5 out of 100 150 that hit 10+

17. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It's finally heating up in Minnesota. Can't say I've been slamming 'em, but it's getting more and more consistent and they're starting to show up in some of my favorite spots.

This guy came from 4' of water on cut shad at about noon. Just over 11 pounds. Shad is by far my favorite bait this time of year, followed by cut sucker.

Attached Files: