Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by fishfreak, Apr 29, 2008.

1. fishfreak

fishfreak New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been out five times this spring with my son trying to catch catfish. We've come up dry everytime. We've tried the river at Wellington, the missouri river by Fort Osage, the missouri river off MO 224, the river by Cooley Lake, and Cooley Lake. All we,ve caught are sturgeon and white bass which we threw back of course. We've used cut bait and night crawlers for bait. Nothing works.
    Does any of you know where a person can go to catch catfish off the bank somewhere (Don't have a boat) with my son? I think I'm out of practice; I haven't been fishing regularly since my dad died 20 years ago.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Next time you go fishing, try using some stinkbait. If it's channel cats you're targeting the stinkbait should help. I like using Sonny's, Catfish Charlie and others. I will use a cattracker tubie worm and a size 6 or 4 treble hook on a 12" leader of 20# test line. Above the leader is a swivel and then the weight of your preference. When using the stinkbait, make sure the worm is dry. This keeps the bait from slinging off from casting. Also dip the worm with bait into the water before casting. This helps lock on the bait. Usually I'll wait 15 to 20 min. before rebaiting. I will use multiple worms and leader for action, so I don't need to rebait all the time. This stuff does work and I hope you give it a try. The tubie worms come in many colors and are available at catfish connection and the dipbait is available from there to.

I invite you to read my post DIP BAIT METHODS in the members library to help you use this technique of catching those OL' CATS.:big_smile::0a26::0a18:

MARK..

3. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to use chicken liver when targeting channel cats. I use old panty hose to keep it on the hook. I've by far caught more channels on liver than I have anything else.