Channel catfish??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by aggie2305, Apr 10, 2006.

1. aggie2305

aggie2305 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i was fishing in a small pond and caught a catfish i thought was a channel, but its mouth was HUGE, compared to the body the mouth was like 50% of the fish, lol, do channels normally have real wide mouths?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm almost sure that was a White Catfish or possibly a Bullhead.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Did it have a forked tail or a square tail? Channels have a forked tail where Flatheads and Bullheads have a square tail!

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It does sound a lot like a bullhead but...at St.Mary's Lake in Ohio we have caught about 30 channels that fit that description, they were not bullheads, quite a few of them still had spots on them. They had really big, wide, thick mouths like bullheads and head purplish lips, weird looking channels. Could be some sort of genetic thing, but I don't know, you could always contact a local DNR post and ask what they think.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bet it still ate good. I think you caught a bullhead like the rest of the post here. Tho sometimes channels have slight differences. Check you local DNR for a fish ID chart online. may give you some clues

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds to me like a white cat. River up here is full of em and the similaritys to channels are great. The difference bein a more squared off tail and a large head. Might be a bit early but if the water temp is rite for spawnin this will give the whites as well as the channels a very large swolen head.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes it sound's like a White Cat more then anything because of the size of the head. White Cat's have HUGE head's for their size, when Channel's are spawning the male's get swolen head's but I'm almost sure the one you caught was a White Catfish.

Zakk

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like a bullhead but w/ out a picture i can't say... possibly even a flattie though...again its easier to tell in a picture...

This thing keeps coming up w/ channels though that they get these really huge heads and the puniest bodies... most the guys on the board when you ask seem to think its a spawning cat but its not that the head is bulky and swollen... the skull its self is much larger then it should be for the body... i've caught 2 lb fish w/ heads the size of a 5 or 6 lber... I've asked some biologist friends of mine and they don't have any answers with out pics and i need to start taking pics of the fish i catch for that... If you catch another take pics... lots of them... head, tail, full body, even the mouth and the toothplates if possible, anal fin, and any other interesting traits you find... try and get multiple angles for them... its better to spend the $10 on processing (usually less) and get pics that you can identify the fish with rather then wondering for ever what it is...

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Photocat, when you catch a 2 lb cat with a head that should go with a 6 lb body, I'd say it's a problem of too many cats present and not enough food to support them properly. I've seen this in ponds before, where very little fishing is allowed, and then only catch and release. Either the catfish population needs to be thinned down, or regular stockings of baitfish need to be introduced.
    Rat

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It may be a white catfish. That is where I would bet my money sight unseen.

White catfish do have a forked tail, but it is not as deeply forked as a channel catfish and the tips of the tail are more rounded on a white catfish. The white catfish also has a much more rounded tail than a channel catfish.

I caught a 5 1/2 pound white catfish last year and that was one of the trouhest fighting fish I have seen.