Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL COLORADO TALK' started by Ducky, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Ducky

Ducky New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Went out to local lake called Arbor here in Westminster area of Denver. Started around 6pm and around 7 started getting bites using leeches on the bottom, then shortly after hooked into a 14 inch channel cat. Soon as I got it on shore my dog attacks it putting some holes in its side which made it start to bleed and caused me to keep it. It made some good fillets for dinner and I now know that my dog is a cat fish killer so to be careful next time. Stayed on lake half hour more with bites but people kept talking to me and distracting me didnt land anymore.

Attached Files:

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thank your dog for a good dinner. Nice catch. My dog eats any fish put in front of him. You really have to watch him around the bait.

3. Ducky

Ducky New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks man it was pretty tasty. I have a question though, he tasted a little like the lake he was caught in, is there a way to filter em out, like leave em in clean water for a day or so? ANy suggestions would help.

Attached Files:

4. Ducky

Ducky New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Went out with a buddy the other night...used chicken liver and hearts. He caught two channels one 16 inches that he kept and I ate. Good fillets that were really tasty. I got the big fat skunk but saw tons of carp and got a good buzz.

Attached Files:

5. Radair

Radair New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have prepared several hundred pounds of catfish for friends and family. Only one time have I ever heard that it tasted "fishy", and that was from a high maintenance woman. Just rinse the fillets in clean water after skinning, and soak in milk overnight before eating. Your mouth and guests will thank you! Enjoy!!!

I use beer batter and a turkey fryer to cook the fish. Goes great with Summer squash and Green Zuccinni also dipped in beer batter.

6. Ducky

Ducky New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for the advice...the one that tasted funny was from a area where theres turf next to lake and i think they sprayed chemical which got in the water over the last few months. Caught one outta different body of water week later and tasted just fine. But will try milk soak for night for sure.

7. Radair

Radair New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Did the funny tasting one have a large section of red meat in the fillet? Sometimes that will have a "Gamey" taste.