Channel Catfish World Record

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by RiverKat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Do you guys think the Channel Cat World Record will ever be broken? Seems like they break the Blue Cat record every year. Where do you think it might come from? A river like the Red River in Manitoba or a reservoir known for big cats like Santee Cooper?

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am not sure if it will ever be broken, or if the world record channel cat is even a channel, by looking at the picture of it, it doesnt even look like a channel, no fork in the tail that I can see.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I know what you mean. I picked up an old issue of In-Fisherman last night and there was a whole article on that subject. The 8lb line class record record channel cat is obviously a Flathead. Alot of the biggest channel cats entered appear to be Blues.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
  5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A lot of people say that about the record channel, but, honestly, when's the last time you saw a 58 pound channel? When blues get real big they start looking a bit different, too.

The set of conditions that produced the record channel may never exist again. The fish was caught years after the Santee Cooper lakes were dammed, when there was a tremendous forage base (shad and herring) and very little competition. I believe it was the very same year the SCDNR made a deal with some midwestern state and traded South Carolina striped bass (which, by the way, are the source genetic stock for every landlocked fresh water population of stripers in the country) for blue and flathead cats because they felt that some bigger fish would do a better job of utilizing and controlling the forage fish. Since then, channel cats are still abundant at Santee Cooper, but do not reach near the same size. The blues and flatheads, however, do. (Although, they are overfished. We need a slot limit to protect some of the big fish so they canm survive for the many, many years it takes to grow a trophy.)

Personally, I think that if a new record channel is caught, it will probably come from one of the southern California resevoirs. Those guys are catching some monster channels.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    so your saying that when a channel cat gets bigger the v in the tail goes away. I mean if you look at the picture it doesnt at all look like a channel as far as the tail is concerned. Maybe there was something weird about that fish like maybe it was a cross breed or something, looks like a channel cat with a flathead tail. Wierd

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thats one thing about fishing records that is tough, there is seldom any proof of how big the fish actually was except for perhaps a photo. At least with trophy deer and elk you have the rack to measure at some point down the road if there is a question.

In todays world of video everything, camera phones, and digital cameras, I think the next world records will be better documented.

As for will it be broken? I keep telling myself that everytime I cast a line out.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well since the only catfish that could be that size at that time here in SC its either a Channel cat or a world record Bullhead.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'm not saying its not a channel, it just looks really wierd.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Oh I see what you're saying and just it would be very funny if it was a bullhead. I still think someone has caught the another one bigger but didn't realize what they had.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I think it would be broken in california. They've got a good forage base and pretty much a year round growing season.

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Its really hard to tell with a side shot of it. Larger Male Channels have that fat puffed up head, but the tail is Strange. Either way thats what its in the book as. So until its broke............. Fish on. I would figure a world record channel would come from the Red River up Canada way. Just my thought! Mac

13. dodge man 79

dodge man 79 New Member

State:
    Sabula Iowa
    i think that the record will be broke all records fall in time. You never know that next record could come from your own backyard I know because I live in Iowa and everything is huge here look at some of our record Whitetails. everything gets big on Iowa corn!

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    according to IGFA atleast on the line class records that 58 lb channel is not a record.... now when you go and check all tackle records it shows up as the record... doesn't make sense does it?

I was just looking at line class records for blues... the 130lb line class has only a 20 lb catfish in it... almost pathetic isn't it? considering that they can get to 50 lbs fairly easily...

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    With Channel...it's just like with a blue cat. The water temp doesn't really matter...they eat and can be caught year round...even through the ice.

16. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    A guide I fish with on Santee says he's pretty sure the record has already been broken, but people assume they have caught a blue. According to him when they reach that size the only way to tell for sure is to count the spines in the caudal fin. The blue and channel have different counts, but I don't remember what they are. I know of two lakes near me where people keep claiming to have caught large blue cats, but according to the state wildlife site, they have only been stocked with channel cats. Who knows for sure? I just wish I could catch one big enough to worry about what kind it is. Maybe this year.
    GT

17. Catfish bait

Catfish bait New Member

State:
    manitoba
    I think it's just a matter of time until somebody pulls it out of the red river(hopefully me) Every year hundreds of master angler cats are cought, and have to be released, so they can only get bigger. Just my opinion.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its hard to say where the new record might be at right now but the way everyone seems to be chasing catfish these days i think it willbe broken this year especially with so many of us practicing cpr

19. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm with GT, a record channel may have already been caught. Counting the number of rays on the fin is the only accurate, visual method of determining the species. Just remember to use the anal fin (on the bottom side near the tail) rather than the caudal (tail) fin. 30-35 rays means it's a blue catfish, while 24-29 rays means it's a channel catfish.

Ralph

20. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    i bet that record has been broken many times already!