Channel Catfish - Will slip Floats work?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just wondering how many people use slip floats for channel catfish and how good does it work. I have only tried it a couple times and it hasn't produced anything. :embarassed:

Thanks,
    Josh

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I almost always use slip floats and usually do pretty good--except this year.I like them because you can set your depth to what you like.

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Josh they should be a part of your presentation arsonal, they are god for drifting and the chanel cats don't always stay one the botom expecially this time of year because of the thermocline so a suspended bait is a good technique.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have caught hundreds of kittys with a float with everything from worms and livers to stinkbait...

Shrimp under a float next to a brush pile is quite deadly! I've caught some of my biggest channels this way.......

If you forsake using a float, you are surly missing out on a very effective presentation imho...

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Tim brings up a real good point with a brush pile. One of the best ways to fish it. Also wih you doin mostly bank fishin it gives ya a chance to cover quite a bit more territory.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Josh, the largest fish caught at the Ohio gathering at Saltfork which you attended was caught under a float. The lake bottom was covered in decaying weeds and we used floats to elevate the baits above the junk. Not only is it effective but it is lots of fun. Know the feeling whaen a gill is making the bobber dance then the feel when it finally buries the bobber under the water? Magnify that felling by 10 times, when you know you have a much larger fish on the end of your line.

7. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    Agreed! During the Summer I seem to find suspension a wonderful technique, especially for channels. Great observasion.

-M Welch

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use them all the time. I find them exremely productive when I fish small stocked lakes.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    When I tite line lakes I always have one rod with a slip float.

10. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've used float with all kinds of catfish bait.. works well.. but sometimes.. i recommended just setting the pole and wait =)

11. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    slipf floats are an excellent way to fish for catfish. they are great for fishing brush piles in water and also good for drifting across lakes when it is windy. using them is a little tricky at first but you will get the hang of them . i prefer the unweighted ones just in case you get hung up they drift in faster and also ahy are adjustable oth depth of the float its self for those fish that just like to nibble. if you set it heavy and just have the tip exposed it doesnt take much for the fish to take it down. there is nothing like seeing a 9" float take off under water . it is a very effective way to catch cats. if you do try this way make sure you have 2 floats just in case. have fun and be safe on water and i hope this helped you out.

bill

12. mudpup

mudpup New Member

State:
    Wilkes-Barre Pa.
    absotively , posolutely , slip floats can find em faster , soo the fun starts sooner.On the river or the lakes , SLIPPIN , is the way to go.

13. cat_got_ma_bait

cat_got_ma_bait New Member

State:
    alabama
    I agree with the bluegill comment when you see a huge bobber dancin around it makes you wanna dance around knowing ya could have a 20lb cat on the end it is fun:big_smile:

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Slip floats work great! The BOC has a member who sells some pretty nifty slip bobbers you may consider tring out.
    It is AKWOLF with Maine Wolf Products and you can access his web page from
    http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/Main.html

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I caught about a 9lb channel out of Big Walnut in 2004 using a Slip Bobber. It worked well then.

16. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    slip bobbers are great in rivers and are one of my most productive ways for catching numbers, drifting some cut bait through riffles and eddies is always great!

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I totally agree. I pull out the slip floats whenever the biting is slow or snags are killing me. I set up 4 rods with floats. I determine the depth at casting distance and divide by four. (36' deep /4 = 8ft) This gives me an even aray of depths to set the slip floats. once I determine the hitting depth, I switch all rods over to that.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that they stay at the same depth all night either.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I catch 90% of my channels with a slip float.
    I fish most below dams where it is rocky and snaggy.
    I use a slip float with the bait about 1 foot off the bottom.
    Very deadly!!! I outfish everybody this way.
    On that note, caught my PB today (9lbs) on a slip float and and cut shiner.
    Try it!!!! Let me know how you do, you ill be suprised!!!!!!
    PEACE!

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a slip float most of the time to catch channels. Slip floats work pettry good it keeps the bait off the bottom so the cats can see it.

20. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I catch as many catfish with floats as I do any other way. It is very effective and sometimes, the only way that works.