Channel catfish what to do

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dakid, Oct 14, 2006.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    i fish in a lake were the catfish dont get much bigger than 10 to 15 pounds what would be the best bait besides crawlers

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try some cut bait

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Chicken livers, cut suckers, live sucker minnows.
    I recently had some luck with goose guts and liver.
    My buddy just got a doe bow hunting tonight and now we are going out to try deer liver. Any thing fresh and bloody should work.
    You won't know untill you try.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I would say cut bait as well. you also might try shrimp or sardines fresh from the fish store

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Live or dead shiners, gizzard shad, livers...
    Try clams. I have several that I got at the creek and I will use them. A natural food for cats, they gotta work...

6. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I have been fishin a local lake with the same case, finally this morning, I hooked up with a big channel. I was using live blue gill. Channels are the only kind of cats in the lake, as far as I know. Previously I used liver, stink baits,worms, and everything else. Live bait seems to be the best.

7. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    the lake i fish is about the same.a 10 pounder is a nice fish out of it.i use cut shad,chicken livers and shrimp.i no longer use nightcrawlers

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

all of these are great ideas, Good luck

9. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I would have to say minnows because the local ponds here I have awsome turnouts for them.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Follow the suggestions as summarized. Nothing wrong with a 2 to 10 lb channel cat. Rather catch 10 of those than wait 10 hours for one bite of a bigger one.

11. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes i would have to try some cut baitand see how that works out

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    try shad, liver, turkey heart, clams, shrimp, cutbait, etc
    I have used and had results with all of the above except clams (not yet) and shrimp. I have a bunch of clams I caught and am planning to use them for bait.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    An old crank telephone, or some dynamite! lol Just kidding, it s the only thing that hasnt been mentioned so far!!

Tight lines to ya!!

Kenny

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you want to catch some of those 15 pounders throw out some cut shad or bluegill. Also use some small gills as live bait, toss one to the outside weed edge and one on the inside weed edge near the bank.Just be quiet no stopmin around on the bank no loud talking and no fire or lantern. The big ones cruise the weeds at night cause they are full of bluegills.

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would say cut bait and crawfish.

16. Juggernaut

Juggernaut New Member

State:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My local bait shop owner says everyone around here is using what they catch. Mostly drum fish guts. We havent tried it yet. Still having good luck on crawlers.

17. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've use chicken hearst covered in garlic salt and curry, but with no luck ... so far the only thing I can get to work for me is nightcrawlers. Course I don't have a lot of experience either. I just started fishing this summer. So I'm taking notes too.

18. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    chicken liver. try to wrap thread around it so it doesnt fall off when you cast it out.

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just a thought...but if a guy could get crawdads, you think they might work? Got creeks around here with lots of them so if the warm weather would hold out I might give them a try.

20. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hey Glenn good to see you caught a Floridian Channel on Bluegill livebait !!!
    What size was it?
    I've yet to try livebaits, but still think that's the way to go. I'm planning to put one out in the area that I'm baiting up, so I know Channels will be around. Do you have any problems with the Turtles using livebait? Darn things seem to take everything else, that's why I'm a little wary of using a cutbait.
    At the moment I use homemade liver boilies, and they love 'em, but 6-8lb'ers are starting to get a bit boring !!!!
    Give me 10 hours and 1 BIG Channel any day ..... :smile2: