Channel catfish swimming towards bank ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kyron4, Jun 11, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went fishing at a large pond/small lake . Caught 3 channel cats two 5 lbs and one 7 lbs. Once hooked all three swam straight to the bank towards me , no fight till they hit the bank, I just reeled in the slack basicly. River fish don't do this, any reason these fish did ? Is this nornmal, or is it due to bening on a small body of water ? -Thanks

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    sounds like to me they knew they had been caught by a master angler and it was no use to try and fight!:smile2: or could be that they were tired of tryin to figure out the useless goverment regulations about where they could swim and what they could eat so they were committin sooieside:cool2:
    being catfish, the polite fish they were they might mave simply thought you dropped your hook by accident and wanted to return it to you?

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol..maybe they were just looking for a way out.:lol:

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I fish from a boat and channels do the same thing. They tend to swim towards the resistance of the line (towards you) just until they get close to the surface. Then they fight like crazy..

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The same happens to me in the lakes. But it also happens to me in the river. When they swim towards the bank for me they are usually hooked in the stomach and you have to cut the line. I am not sure why they do this but I think that they know that if they try to swim away then it is going to be a very painfull experience so they swim towards the bank because they relievs the pain because there is no tension on the line. That is just my two cents.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It happens in the rivers often, around here! Many times my attention has been focused elsewhere and I turn back to see major slack in my line. I know to reel like crazy cause a "Generaly Big" cat is going to erupt near the bank when I tighten that line up! This is virtualy 100% of the time, I see that slack!

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They simply gave up.

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    they do it to me too. its the only time i miss a fish with circle hooks.

9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i fish lakes with channels. never really had one swim towards the bank and make the line slack. usually, my rod is halfway in the water before i notice it. when i hook 'em, they tend to swim more parallel to the shore, puttin up a heck of a figh the whole time. if i hook one real shallow, they tend to go deep. maybe my channel cats are special er sumthin lol :confuse:

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have had this happen on occassion and haven't figured it out either. My biggest catfish a blue swam all the way up to the boat and then almost into the net before he started fighting.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Maybe just wonted to come, home for dinner lol.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They are tring to eat the string.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hmmmm....good question.

Cats seem to swim to cover or away from competing fish. Most of my fish caught near the bank swim to deep water, but I can see if there is cover there they like they might head that way.

Then there always is the surrender theory...

Were they French catfish?

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Most of my fishing is done from a bank fishing rivers and sometimes they just run towards you, I would say every 2 for 10 do that...

Josh