Channel catfish spines

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Whiskers4U, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    The other night I went to remove a channel cat from my hook and it slipped from hand and one of the doral spines went deep into hand.....OUCH!!!
    My hand swelled up and the pain felt like h*ll. I went to the Doc this morning and he gave me a shot to reduce the pain and swelling. I was wondering what some of your REMEDIES are if this happened to you or some that you have heard about.....

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i wear gloves just for that reason, i dont care if that makes me a wuss or not...

btw, i had a friend who got stuck, i always keep joy the dishwashing soap in my tackle box, he used a good handfull, he felt better... but i heard some have alergic reactions to the poisin

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    a deep one will definatly get tender. i supose it from the water they are in or the jaged edges of the spines back side. if they bother me the next morning ill use canfo fenique on the spot to rid it of soarness. sqeeze them suckers or they will get ya! lol i always hold the runts from underneth the belly,the big ones get a lip lock.

4. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    To my knowledge there is no remedy, just hold on tight is all I can say.

5. smith_77

smith_77 New Member

State:
    Verbena AL.
    I always heard that you rub the belly of the catfish on the injury? I leaned my lesson a long time ago!

6. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I think the rubbing of the belly calms the catfish down almost puts him to sleep kind of. But you never know

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    meat tenderizer helps.when i worked on the shrimp boats in texas they had salt water cats or hardheads as the locals called them.they also had small stingarees they call pancakes and when you got hit by either one the captain of the boat made you soak your hand in hot strong coffee.in my case it seem to help.

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Smith, I've heard about rubbing the wound with the belly of a catfish too. BTW one of those smaller cats in my avatar finned me in the ankle. You can't see all the blood on my shoe but it was there. The bad news he did it while I was trying to bring that bigger cat in on a jug line in a pretty stiff wind in bunch of timber by myself.

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive heard rubbing the slime of the fish on the wound will help but have never tried it

10. lost cause

lost cause New Member

State:
    Alabama
    This is an old cure that I know from experince works. Apply one small drop of battery acid to finned area.
    Count to 10 and wash with plenty of water .

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC Ray!!! Good to have ya here!!!!

I just keep on fishing! or you can drink another cold one:wink:

12. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

i got poked by a small bullhead once, and my hand bled for about 3 minutes. Never had that much blood come out of my hand when that little bullhead got me. About 3 months later the pain went away. :sad2:

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow it took 3 months for the pain to go away. I was caught once to on the thumb had a nasty wort thing come up the next day. It took about 3 weeks for it to go away. I bring a small first aid kit in my tackle box in case of such little emergencies.

14. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Use lots of peroxide to clean it out, then rubbing alcohol. If it hurts alot wrap your hand around an ice cold beer. Then as the can gets empty you can get another one. Sooner or later it won`t hurt at all.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

I know it works on the wife so it could work on a catfish too I suppose.

16. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    TRY THE FISH SLIME FROM THE SAME FISH THAT STICKS YOU!!!!IT WORKS!!!! I was fishing at a paylake and got stuck in the hand and it was a bad one. During my rage to get it loose a old guy fishing next to me came over to help. After we got it free, he told me the tale of the slime. I said what the heck, and rubbed away, and then placed it in the basket. It never even got sore and was gone in a few days. FLUKE OR NOT.....IT WORKED!!!!!!!

17. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Take the injured hand and lay it flat on a rock, or log, or anything hard. Then with a 20oz framing hammer smash your middle finger. This will eleviate any and all pain from the catfish fin.

But if you don't need quite such an immediate remedy, rubbing it on some of the slime works too.

Jon

18. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    I have rubbed the "finned" place on the belly numerous times. It quickly removes the sting. I got finned pretty deep yesterday and no soreness at all today. My only advice is try it, it works

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I rub slime in it. It is hard to do when it is hurting, but I honestly think it helps. It may just be a placebo effect, but whatever works!!

PM Mudkip and ask him about his finning experience a couple of weeks ago in a tournament we fished. Not pretty. :crazy:

20. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    when I get finned I rub it on belly of the catfish that finned me. it has worked for thirty five years now that what I do.