Channel Catfish Spawning boxes?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jason berry, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Does any one have any pictures os suggestions on how to make some spawning boxes out of wood for channel cats. We have a few farm ponds and stocked channel catfish last year but Im wanting to make some boxes so I can save some money and just have them do it naturally. The channel cats are large in the ponds between 12-14#. I was wondering on the heigth and width neede for the boxes.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill

3. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Neighbor has pond, pond has ability to maintain decent amount of channels, but no moving water.
    He is looking for ready to go, inexpensive, spawning boxes. Or, something that could be fashioned into them, again can we impress upon his desire for inexpensive ones???? Any thoughts crew?

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You might try used 5 gal. buckets painted black. Hope this helps.

5. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    around here they throw out used tires

6. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do they keep the buckets anchored?

7. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    re: tires

Do the tires release any toxins as they age? Kids & pups swim in this pond & would like to keep it as toxin free as possible.
    I know I have a billion ?'s but I am a city girl trying to live country. The adjustment can be overwhelming at times.

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive been pulling tires out of our pond that were put there before. They are not working, the people that awned the place before put them in there. I think the opening on the tires wasnt big enough for the cats to get in. I dont know about the toxin thing but it seems not to have affected the fish at all. There are some nice fish in the pond.

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We used concret pipes. We got to put them in before the pond filled. You can just drop them in and the fish will use them.

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know they used to use old milk cans...probably a little hard to find these days. I know I don't see them too often anymore.