CHANNEL CATFISH SPAWN UNDERWAY

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Luke Clayton, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guys, Luke Clayton here. A couple days ago, my buddy George Rule who has guided at Tawakoni many years called and said he's catching channel catfish in water 2 feet deep on punch bait. Not baiting the area, just fishing shallow using a cork over punch bait. I fished a 400 acre lake off an oxbow of the trinity river yesterday. Caught a few in water six feet around a hole baited with soured maize. Then, put George's tips to use, rigged with a cork and began anchoring just out from the bank in areas with plenty of roots, weeds, etc... We HAMMERED the channels, many with well developed eggs. So... looks like it's time for shallow water catfishing!! MUCH FUN! LC

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Yeah Luke that has been going on at Tawakoni for a week or so now. Lots of fun and good eating.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do love to catch those channels when they are shallow... Just something about watching that old cork go under!

4. btoutdoors

btoutdoors New Member

State:
    texas
    Me and the wife brought home 31 nice channels with eggs about 10 days ago here in west texas. About to be some good fishing around here.

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got some good rain, went back and thought I'd fish in the mouth of a feeder creek. I did, no bites.. Then, moved back to the edge of the bank with roots, weeds, etc, water 2 feet deep, falling into 6 feet within 10 feet.. THIS is where the cats are, they want shallow water CLOSE to deeper water, that's the ticket!

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Luke, what you are describing seems to usually hold fish all throughout the summer until the water temp gets too hot. When they move from these places because of the heat move to deeper water structure and you will find the eaters congregated there.