Channel catfish size in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cook, Apr 17, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Without looking,I think the state record is 30 sumptin out of Jacomo.....but that was a record.....many blues and flats are caught every year pushing 100#

Just doesn't seem like the channels average a very large size in lakes and rivers....farm ponds are a different story.
    I read the MDCs file from the symposium they held a few years ago...they didn't have an answer either.

My guess it is a combination of competition from blues/flats and so many being kept...but there has to be more to it than that.

Any guesses?The world may never know!:lol:

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Could it be that the bigger channels are called blues by people who can't tell there fish apart? Hate to count the number of times people call channels blues after they get over say 8 pounds. People are just not educated anymore.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    They better get "Edumacated" soon with the new regs in place

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Jacomo still has some big channel cats in it, as well as Blue Springs Lake. Caught 2 over 15lbs at Blue Springs last spring. Probably won't waste my money on the county permits this year though.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Here in N.Y. the state record channel cat is 33lbs, we dont have blues or flatheads, so there is no competion. Ive never heard of channel cat getting as big as flatties or blues.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You might change your mind when the shad get hard to come by on the river!:eek:oooh:

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Channel cats are probably just a smaller species of fish.