Channel catfish rigs

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Mar 28, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    alright this summer i will be babysitting more younger nephews and i will be taking them to a local pond regularely stocked with channels. i will mostly be using dip baits (sonnys or Charlies) and was wondering because the fish are in the thermocline at about 4-6 ft during the summer and should i fish the dip bait under a bobber or on the bottom. i really appreciate some help because i wanna show my cousins a good time casue i've had my share of them

Ryan

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if at all possible use a cork.kids really get into fishing when they can see a lot of action and nothing is as exciting to a kid than seeing a cork pop under.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I agree, go with the cork

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There's nothing as important as teaching kids about fishing. Make sure they have fun, and don't stay longer than their interests last.

Oh, yeah... keep the rigs simple... and give them a nice bobber to watch.:smile2:

5. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    will the bobber affect the fish finding the stink bait though? thanks for the info i really appreciate it

Ryan

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

No. They will find it OK.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    They'll find it. Remember, their eyes are on top of their heads, not the bottoms. I ain't trying to be a smart@#% but that's the way they're built.

As everybody else has said, use the float and let them cousins of yours have a good time. Teaching them to fish is important but making it fun for them is much more important. If they wanna leave, then go home. If they wanna skip rocks when it gets slow, then let them skip rocks. Bring some drinks and a snack if you intend to stay a while. Let fishing be fun for them and let them do their thing.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I mostly use a slip float rig for Channel Cats. I love seeing the float go under.

9. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    thanks guys this will really help and this summer i'll post some pics of the fishing results under a new thread

Ryan