Channel catfish reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by barbel, May 28, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, my SKP2000 has gone to [insert word for firey place here], and I decided that I liked having a smaller outfit too much to just let it die in vain. So, I wanted to know what a nice channel cat reel would be. I prefer baitcasters because I can handle them better, and because they are less awkward in the area that I fish, but a nice spinning reel would work also. So, I am open for opinions! Thanks in advance :big_smile:

2. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Man, get you a Abu 5000 baitcaster reel.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I apologize for not mentioning this sooner, but I am kind of on a budget. Abus are kind of out of reach, since I dont have a job, and I am also wanting to get a new rod. So please post what you think, but anything that I should seriously consider getting needs to be under about 30-40 dollars.

Thank you for your reply though, Cat King.

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Look at the combo's at Wal-Mart, I bought a Abu 6000 reel on a Berkley lightning 7 ft rod for $69 a couple of weeks ago, they had a 5000 on a 6 ft lightning rod for $49.

5. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you can get the Abu 5000 reel with combo pretty cheap at walmart:smile2: I don't knowfor certain the exact price but I say it's on your budget

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't know exactly how big a reel you're looking for, but Shakespheare "Tidewater" reels are excellent, and cost like $40 or less. They make them in smaller sizes also that I think might work for Channel Cats, I use the big Tidewater for channels also though, depends on what size cats they are, how big of bait you're using, etc.

Good luck.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yes, I have a Tidewater T20L for my medium-large setup, and I think its great. I was thinking maybe a T10 or T15 would work ok for my purposes. I like the clickers on them too, because I use live bait a lot.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I have found that Tidewaters are some of the best reels overall for the price range they are in, my dad has had his for a few years now and caught a lot of big saltwater fish on them with no problem. I don't know if you like buying stuff off the internet, but ebay had some of those smaller Tidewaters for like $20 a couple months ago. I do think a T10 or T15 would be pretty ideal for most Channel Catfishing. For a rod and reel combo, I have a Abu 6000 on a Berkley rod that came from Walmart for $60, they still have them for the same price around here, it's really a bargain since you get a nice pole with it. The reel itself is $60, I use mine all the time for Channel Cats and it's great. And the yeah clickers on the Tidewater and Abu's are great, clickers are pretty much a Must Have, esspecialy for live bait!

Good luck!

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hit up all the pawn shops in your town. Its used stuff but I bet you can find you an Abu 5000 C3 or something similar for around twenty bucks. Last week I picked up the exact reel on a Berkely graphite lightening stick for twenty bucks. I find deals like that all the time at Pawn shops.

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If your looking for an Abu Id stick with a C3 model or above. Im not sure about the quality of some of these new Abus Ive been seeing on combos.

11. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Solid Construction, Cast Great, Loud Clicker, Holds Plenty of 14- 20Lb Mono. Great for Channels. They sell all day long on Ebay for $20 -$32. I try to bid on one from an area not around salt water. Clean and Lube it once a year and your Grandkids will chase channels with it long after we're gone.

12. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Cabelas salt striker spinning reels are a good choice. They're made by okuma and come in a lot of different sizes.

13. shawn00

shawn00 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For Channels, I use only one reel. Shimano Cardiff (200 size) spooled with 14 lb. mono. Reason being is the size of it. It's kind of in between an Abu 4600 and 5500. I don't like big bulky reels and the 200 size is perfect for fishing all day and night. Plus it smooth as silk with five balls bearings (the anti rust bearings).

14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Travis if you are not in a big hurry you might look at flea markets and yard sales and garage sales. I have seen nearly new stuff for pennies on the dollar.
    When I got divorced several years ago I sold $150 rod/reel combos for $30.
    The equipment is out there cheap. Keep looking.

whatever it takes

Cheez

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    U could buy a ugly stick spinning combo for around $40 and man can they handle I have one and it has landed the biggest channel cat i have ever caught weighing in at 25lb 30in

16. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    or u could get one of those abu garcia ambassedeur combos with a abu 6000 and a 7ft berkely lightning rod for 69.99.