Channel Catfish Record Broken

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Grandpaw Hayes in Wilkes County caught some crickets so his granddaughter could catch some bream/gills on her Hot Pink Barbie Doll fishing rod. She caught a few small fish and let them go and then she had to go to the house and use the potter. While she was gone, grandpaw left the bait in the water and lo and behold, a 21 pounds, 1 oz. channel cat picked up the bait and Hayes fought it for 25 minutes, before he got it to the dock. It was weighed at the Thurmond Grocery store in Thurmond, NC and certified by the state. Previous record was 18 pound, 5 oz. per the news release.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats a beast of a channel!! especially for a hot pink barbie pole!!:smile2:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats entertaining barbi(LOL) nice cath though....thats fer sure!

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    sure was dark looking, in picture it looks almost black

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    its a fatty!

Attached Files:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks like a BIG male channell to me. Nice catch especially on the barbie rod.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Holy Cow, that is a great and impressive story!! Congrats to him. It looks like all the post about which rod/reel combo just got blown out of the water.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As long as you use crickets and fish in a pond maybe. The record that he broke was mine, but I didn't feel that it would stand more than six months. I told the observer that when you are fishing for big blues and flatheads catching a 20 pound channel was not a challenge and all if it bites. The gear may be excessive for a pond, or even a channel cat in the river, but to go after the blue and flat records in the stump and snag infested Neuse it does just fine. I would like to congratulate him for catching the fish, but I don't think he has ever heard of the BOC.:confused2:

9. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    On another note, I really didn't expect the record to be broken in a pond, and especially not on a Barbie pole!:crazy:

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I caught a 50lb wahoo last week on an ultralight bream rod with 50 yds of 4lb suffix elite. I've hooked 3lb channels with my bream rod and had them straighten the hook in no time. Its hard for me to believe this fish was caught on that rod, just like its hard for me to believe the world record flat was caught on a zebco 202. If I catch the state record flat I'm going to say it was on a snoopy pole.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's a helluva catch, congrats to him

12. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I guess in a pond, maybe the fish couldn't run far enough for the tiny little rod to fail, but the drag system on those things are terrible! Oh well, how ever he caught it the record was broken. I think there are enough anglers out there that the record should be broken at least two or three more times before it really settles out. Good luck to all!

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Caught my PB on a zebco 202, so I can truly appreciate what an accomplishment this is. Way to smash that record.

Richard

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I would guess that the gears in that Barbie reel may need some work after that battle:smile2:

Channel catfish are a load. I can't imagine how a 21 pounder pulls.

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice channel Catfish !!!!!!!!

17. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I just read that artical on my home page. Maybe Barbie or snoopy need to become part of gear to land me a record.:smile2::smile2:

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey, at least you're on the books for having the state record at that time...alot of us can only hope for such a thing...Im off to walmart to get myself a barbie pole! No more ugly stick for me!!:smile2:

19. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah all of the money I have spent on gear could have been used for gas!:confused2:

20. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN