Channel catfish question

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Rottdog, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I was just curious, I caught a couple of channels earlier this week and while cleaning them I noticed one of them was full of eggs. I thought that catfish didn't spawn until later in the year? So I was wandering if anyone could update my knowledge on the Catfish Spawn. I just hate to take a fish out of the water that hasen't already deposited her eggs.
    Any information regarding this subject would be much appreciated,
    Garrett

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i'll go out on a limb here. the channels and blues i have been catching lately also have eggs in them, but it doesn't look like they are fully developed. i guess it might take a while to get to the spawning stage.
    by the end of april, the male channels here will have their heads all swollen because of the spawn.

3. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    time of year dosnt affect the spawn, it is the water temputure that dose. for cats i belive that is some where in the 50's but i cant remember.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yep what he said. Its the water temp that gets em doin the nasty. LOL!

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Blue catfish spawn with a water temp of 70 to 75, and channels spawn when the temps reach 75 to 80 here in Tennessee. This might be a bit warmer than farther north. Hope this helps!

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I start to see eggs in channels here in maryland by feb but they ain't ready untill late may or june

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    its pretty normal for cats bearing eggs this time of year. they won't spawn until the water temp is right which is usually May and June.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I know here in N.Y. they dont spaun till June.

9. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    The spawn here in ks is usually in june. But i also caught a cat the other day that had eggs in her to. Hope this helps

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Aint it a little early to be spawning?

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The eggs develop well before they spawn. They are carried until the magic conditions happen that tell them it is time to spawn.

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    here in texas i found eggs in em too, i heard 72 degrees is the magic number but i could be wrong