channel catfish question

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whiskercatcher, Oct 13, 2009.

1. whiskercatcher

whiskercatcher New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was wondering if anyone could help me out. i went to a spot i fish at alum creek last night. all i caught was a bunch of little 1-2 lb channels. earlier in the year i was catching 8+ lbs fairly consistently. does the changing weather have an effect on where the larger cats move to, or was it just a fluke last night? thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
  2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    weather dose have a factor on where they move diferent times of the yr

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    yes this is true. as the weather turns colder the fish will go to the deeper holes so the spot you fish in may not be that deep of a hole as the weather was warm they were there. but dont worry they will be back in time!

4. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yes i agree with the above comments.also trial and error.downsize baits.switch baits.most importantly you are still catchin them.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    weather does play an important factor. the colder the water temp the deeper i fish.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC, some days Will be more lacking than others that's just the way of it. Small ones will be around a day or two than the big guys will come back through. Weather can and does play a big role in fishing though. Bad storms make them feed crazy. Just gotta be careful. I
    'd rather just fish with the heavy rain vs. storms though.:eek:oooh:

7. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    not me ive been out in lightning storms with my 10ft poles slingin lead. but you better believe if ever i feel my hair on the back of my neck stand on end imma hittin the ground fast:smile2::smile2::confused2::confused2:

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    THE BAD NEWS IS ( U AIN'T FAST ENOUGH TO GET TO THE GROUND BEFORE THE BIG OUCH,). JUST HATEED TO TELL U THAT. SEEN A GUY TRY THAT ONCE. ONLY ONCE DID HE TRY THAT.:eek:oooh::crazy::embarassed:

9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    and winter I look for shallow water close to deep water. IE if you find 5' of water near 40' or more you will find nice fish. I get where I can fish the deep water and the shallow at the same time.

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree. And trust me if a person ever could truly get the cycle down pat they would be rich...but its not possible cuz what they move for one time, they wont more for the rest. Ive been trying to get this pattern down for years. There are far to many variable to consistantly predict the movement of these fish. Generalities can be made yes, but good without a doubt facts? NEVER...

11. whiskercatcher

whiskercatcher New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks everyone for your responses. i'm hoping to get back out there this week and see what results i get.