Channel catfish on the upper Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Going to hit the upper potomac river tomorrow somewhere around poolesville maybe edwards or whites ferry with the high water and still coming up going to see if I can hook some channel cats.

2. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    hope you get a few...been out icefishing the past couple of weeks with all the cold weather around. I got my fix so its on to the catfish.

3. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    hope to see a good report ... already got my licience and just in hold mode

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just got back in was a so so day the water is still coming up and very muddy. Fished the warm water outlet at pepco power plant for about 2 hours. 10 channels 2 to 10 lbs moved out in the main river where the water temp was right at 39. Set up on some fish I marked and the bite was there but slow. I picked up 4 there in 2 hours one about 12 lbs the other 3 was small 2 or 3 lbs channels. Liver, DK and some old shad was the bait and all did about the same today.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Sounds like you had a good time tim! Nice to hear your catching some fish! Wish i was!

6. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    what is DK

Congrats on the days catch

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Dk is Danny Kings Catfish Bait a Punch bait that works good for avg size cats. It works better in warmer waters than it does it cold waters.

8. KaJaMa

KaJaMa New Member

State:
    Maryland
    sounds like you scratched your itch Tim. Marty and I will be heading to Ft Washington on Saturday. The ice fishing just wasn't satisfying enough. Hopefully this nice weather will hold up...Anyone else planning a trip?

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I maybe their as well but with 1 to 3" of rain coming tonight it maynot be to safe out there saturday. I know the upper potomac is running full now and this rain will just run off. FLOODS are going it looks like all that trash comeing down can be unsafe and hard on a baot as well.

10. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'll be out there in a camo 17' Key West Center Console. Like tim said watch the debris with all this rain don't tear your boat up.

11. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Danny Kings ... gotta remember that name ... so with the raising water level fish should turn on a little maybe

12. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Excellent report!! I cant wait to get back out myself with the Carolina Skiff I got in the offseason. My new boat is hibernating now at Fort Smallwood on the Mattawonan. The canoe has been demoted to reserve status, and I'm chomping at the bit to graduate from channels on livers to these big bruising blues with the cut bait that I've been reading about on these threads. I'm sure they'll be a bit of a learning curve, but I just can't wait!!

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If you need any help river feel free to ask away. We have a great group of guys here and the info is free.

14. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Tim!! From what I’ve read on these boards, I know to use cut or live bait (bluegills, shad, white perch, etc), fish the channel line on the outgoing tide, and look for fish on my meter before I anchor up.

I did think of another question: What size sinkers should I be using? I put a khale or circle hook (about 6/0) on about 18 inches of leader tied to a snap swivel, with a bead then a barrel sinker above the snap swivel. I typically use a 2 ounce or so barrel.

Is this too light of a sinker for the deeper depths of the channel edge? Also, should I try and get my bait all the way to the bottom (I would assume so).

Thank you for past and future advice.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I mostly fish bottom with 2 to 8 oz sinkers no-roll 4/0 to 10/0 kahle hooks is all I use now. The bigger the bait & deeper the water well need more sinker to keep it down. When I use big bait plus the moving tide it will take a lot of weight to keep it on the bottom.

16. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The area that you fish up by the power plant is full of good fishin. When it really gets cold you can set up by the kyake course and do well. The warm water flow will continue to effect down stream as far as the first set of fish traps below Whites Ferry. If you leave Whites Ferry and go down river on the Maryland side to the end of the first island just before the power lines cut to the Virginia side of the island and go up to the first set of rapids and drift back 50 ft. You will find a hole that has assorted wood and rocks that hold quite a few nice channel cats. Good luck and good fishing.

Art

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Art also on down river just below Edwards ferry ramp where the big rock are on the bank at the camp site there is a small channel that runs along the MD side around 10' of water i set up there and pull some very nice channels biggest so far 22lbs lots of teens have come from there also gosse creek can pop some hogs.

18. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Alright hows about this one.... Head down river and go past goose creek on the virginia side across from the rocks at Whites ferry you will find a riffle just up from were the river splits and goes down to broadrun. That is an old fishtrap make a line from the riffle to the rocks on the maryland side and fish that area when the water gets low. Their are alot of cats holed up below the riffle when it gets warm. On a slow day you can get some nice smallmouth from their also. Head down river and take the cut ( shallow jet boats only)were broad run enters back into the island and the virgina offshoot of the river. That is a deep hole near were the man has the concrete boatlaunch in his backyard. Were the island to the left of you as you clear the shallows the inside of the bank is undercut and is near deep water and has some roots and wood in it. Anyone who reads this I only ask that you practice catch and release of any of the fish over 10 lbs they are fun to catch and should be shared with everyone.

Art

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes sir Art I have been there myself and I always CPR every fish over 5 lbs on mt guide service. Myself I only bring 2 to 3 lbers home and not alot of them any more.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks Tim, Big George and me are looking forward to fishing with you May 14th!