Channel Catfish on the Snake River:Idaho

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Snakerivercat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Here's some channels that I caught on the Snake. I was all by myself that day and it was great. I got home pretty late. By the time I got them all cleaned I was beat. I hope the pictures turn out I had to scan them. Sorry about the perch picture in there.

Attached Files:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice mess of fish.

3. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks, CJ21. Tasted good too.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes very nice indeed-man I cannot wait to get out after ice out....then get me a mess like that our freezor is gettin low(LOL)

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jason I love Fried Channel Catfish.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  7. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ummm ummm ummmmm.. dinner is served.. do the channels get very big that far north on that river?

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    that chest looks like its full of yellow perch i didnt know they had them in idaho.how close to boise were you.i have family in boise and was wondering how close to the snakw they were and if theres sturgeon in the river there.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    WOW!

Looking at the picture, filled to the BRIM with cats; Iowa farm-pond or Missippi river..

NOT rocky, raging river in the heart of the northern rockies. Good job!

10. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Those are yellow perch Johnnie. I live in Boise. The Sanke is close to Boise not a far drive at all. Yes we do have sturgeon, here's a post I put on this site http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99910 Check it out. Feel free to ask me any questions.

11. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Jay, They do o.k. You catch lot's like the size in the pics. But they do get pretty good sized here also. I've caught a 15lb. and lost a bigger one. I think she was about 18lbs or so. Just by estimate though. But have seen guy's catch 20lb ders, but not huge amounts. I think there here though. Just have to work harder. They have a huge catfish tournament at Hunnington, Oregon and they bring in some big fish.

12. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho

Thank you. I'm evan amazed sometimes.:smile2:

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice mess of catfish very good eating channels are rick

14. olgrizz

olgrizz New Member

State:
    idaho
    Snake, I am also from Idaho, am looking forward to the cats and crappie this year. Spent most of my life in Southern Idaho, pretty much a flyfisherman, moved to SW. Idaho 6 yaers ago. Been learning the warnwater fishing thing, still not the best at it, but getting better. I have been out a couple of times in late Jan. Not much but a few larger fish.

15. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Welcome to the site olgrizz. Lot's of great info on here from the brothers. Be persistant it will pay off for ya. Nice to see another person on here from idaho. SW idaho has lot's of great warm water fishing and evan plenty of fly fishing to. Good luck.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Rick to the Brotherhood from Fresno California.

17. olgrizz

olgrizz New Member

State:
    idaho
    Snake, what is your go to bait if you don't mind saying, we use crickets and shrimp.

18. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    In the spring I like to use chicken livers, or blood flavored dip bait seems to work well here. I will always use cut bait if I can get it. I use that all year. All those cats in the picture were caught off mega sized crickets. The big blacks ones. Some people call them mormon crickets but they're really called the shieldbacked katydid. Not really evan a cricket. They work great but they haven't been around much the last couple of years. I caught them by the five gallon bucket fulls. I freeze them and they work great. I use them in the late summer months. Shrimp also works great in the later months for me. Frogs work great here also if you can find them. Then good old fashioned worms if you can keep the bass off them.

19. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Here's a pic. of the big crickets.

Attached Files:

20. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    just sent you a pm full of questions im in boise also still havent caught my 1st catfish yet im hoping this yr wil be the year lol