Channel Catfish on shrimp

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by howard2119, Mar 30, 2009.

1. howard2119

howard2119 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think that small to medium channel like shrimp the best out of any bait where i live here in Ohio. I have tried all different types of bait for them and it seems in my opinion that they just love shrimp. But it seems that the bigger channel like live bait better.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah your right i find channels love them shrimp so do bullheads.But i also find that on some places i fish it will catch one after another,other places you would be wasting your time using shrimp cause they wont even sniff at it.Dont know why.But i have caught some biguns on it.But normally the rule of thumb is live and cut bait catch the big boys.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

On some lakes those channels love shrimp, even over herring, just depends on the lake I've noticed. On my lake they don't care much for it, now go to my friends lake and they go crazy over them.....it's just the way it is. They prolly will love the crawdads too if they like the shrimp.

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    As strange as it may sound, Seems I always do better with shrimp in rocky areas like around dams. But the channels do like shrimp.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This has been posted many times and works well Give it a try. Soak you shrimp in garlic powder/juice over night in a zip lock bag and go catch some fish.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use shrimp and sometimes I add a lil vanaliia to the bag:wink:

7. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I catch a lot of channels on shrimp. My opinion is your not going to catch the monster cats but you will catch cats using shrimp.

8. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shrimp is for sure my favorite bait for catching numbers and some descent sized channels, but will say that cut or live bait seems to get the larger ones

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have always done better on channels using shrimp, especially when fishing current like in rivers or canals. It's an awesome bait for sure. Tight lines.

:cool2:

10. VOODOO 1

VOODOO 1 New Member

State:
    PA
    You can catch big ones on shrimp. My pb channel came on shrimp 19 pounds on a piece of shrimp the size of your fingernail.

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use shrimp around riprap in the spring. Get a lot of 2-5 lb channels.

12. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    The channels in my lake can be caught on shrimp pretty consistently. And if you soak em in vanila you best hang on. You will consistently catch 1lbs-3lbs cats almost all night.

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am going to try some of the vanilla flavoring and garlic salt. I have
    used the little cocktail shrimp coated with Fish Formula "Catfish" on
    jugs in the spring and did very well on channels under 5 lb.

14. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    i caught a 13 pound flathead on shrimp last year along with a few others.
    also caught stripe with them.shrimp is one of my favorite baits.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Shrimp can and will catch trophy channel cat, the best way to catch the "big ones" is to use alot of it on a hook.
    I have found that the kahle hook provides the best hooksets in this situation, If you use circle hooks peeling the shrimp is a MUST!... but with a solid hookset it will break through a unpeeled shrimp pretty easy with J style or kahle hooks:wink:

16. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a firm believer in shrimp. I have several channels using it. I soak it in Garlic salt and kool-aid. Cherry flavored.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Over the years I have caught a lot of channel cats on shrimp. Some people thinks it to expensive for bait but compared to nightcrawlers I think it cheap as dirt. I fish it for channels all year long. I have caught some flatheads hybrid bass and other species on it as well.

18. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    This works everytime for small eater size channels around here.Works best at night

1lb raw shrimp/ one small bottle vanilla extract /a couple spoons minced garlic. Throw in ziploc over night in the freezer to keep the shrimp fresh when your out on the water.
    The largest I ever caught was 8lb on this.

19. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I am gonna have to give this a try this weekend. I can buy a pound for like $3.50 at ALDI. I will have to try some in just garlic, some with vanilla and garlic and some plain.

20. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I feel the same way on hartwell. Shrimp most of the time out fish's liver on most days. Hybrid bass also like shrimp alot