Channel Catfish On Lures

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Madtownangler, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've been catching channel cats on jointed Rapalas the last two sunday mornings about a half hour before and after sunrise. The two I had this morning attacked them in one foot of water about ten feet away from me, really cool and freaked me out. These are the first cats I've ever gotten on lures and on a different part of the lake that I have never gotten channels cats out of, even with cut bait. Last week I was using four pound line and barely got it out of the water. This morning I had ten pound line and had no problem getting them in. Anyone else catching cats on lures?

pictures of each attached.....

Attached Files:

2. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Way to go Dan! I too have caught cats by accident using jointed perch shad raps man do they slam it!! I've also got them on jigs with twister tails. Sure alot of fun on the light gear!! :cool2:

3. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The biggest channel I've ever caught (the one in my avatar) was on a lure. I was muskie fishing, and this one ate a 10 inch crankbait over 40 feet of water, right before sunrise. Years ago my Dad and I went to the Dells and caught HUNDREDS of channel cats on crankbaits. And last year, Dad caught one almost 30 pounds on a soft plastic he was using for bass. We have a friend with a pond in his backyard that has a lot of channel cats and we catch way more on suspending jerkbaits than we can fishing the bottom with traditional stuff. I don't really target them with artificials, but they do like them...

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Heck yeah you can catch em on lures..I used to always catch em on a gold spoon while fishing for reds..I've caught them on crankbaits and I've also caught them fly fishing..

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    me and my buddy were out fourth of july @ brookville lake in indiana and were catchin channels on crankbaits annd on gulp minnows on a drop rig.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i can tell u first hand, and Bluejay can second; we were out on Jacomo lake and trolled passed some bassfishermen who happen to catch a channel cat on a spinnerbait. i myself have caught a blue on a rapala clak and rapp. on accident ofcourse.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Dan on your catfish lure success. Catching them on lures is a blast. We use to use Mann 20-30 plus in crawdad colors to target channel,and blues on the Ohio and had several great days.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its been many years ago, but I caught twin 8# channel cats with a chartruse willow leaf blade,spinner bait. I thought that was odd, but I guess anything is possible.

9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Catch them in the spring and early summer while bass fishing. It's a lot of fun trying to take three treble hooks out of a channel cat.:eek:oooh:

10. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I got another one this morning on a jointed Rapala...about a foot in front of me. Scared the @#$% out of me and it almost jumped out of the water. I have to work the rest of the week, so I'll fish there again next Sunday morning.

Attached Files:

11. slakltrak

slakltrak New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I caught a 21" channel about a week ago on a white spinner bass bait.
    I thought it was good largemouth bass until it surfaced. Initially, it fought hard and strong for a few seconds then started doing the death roll...:crazy:
    It was a pleasant suprise and he came home for dinner.:smile2:

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
  12. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt:

I also fish Lake Jacomo, and have caught two channel catfish from that lake on crankbaits. One while casting and one while trolling. It is a surprise, but a lot of fun.

Ralph

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i been hearing the red and white daredevil lures(spoons) been doin good around here , guess i better go get me a few

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It wasn't a channel but I caught a 13.5LB blue on a 1.5" sunfish swimbait trolling behind my kayak a few weeks back. That was a heck of a surprise!

15. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    my pb channel came on a gulp sinking minnow, it wasnt my first on a gulp worm and definitely not my last.... for whatever reason they love those things just tapping it off the bottom slow retrieve....

16. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    My personal best was a 31 inch channel that I caught while bass fishing from shore in '97. I had 2 rods, one with a purple bass worm with a white stripe, and I had just sprayed it with Berkley bass scent. I cast out, set the rod on the ground, and as I was reaching to bait the other pole with worms, my rod took off toward the lake. I grabbed it just in time. I had 8 pound test and a light rod, fishing for small Michigan bass, and low and behold, I had a 15 minute battle with a 31 inch channel! That was the initial fish that turned me on to catfishing, I was thrilled beyond belief.

17. Minnowslayer

Minnowslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I caught one channel about 4 pounds while bass fishing.My mom tricia aka littleman targets flatheads with jigging spoons.When we're out on the river fishing a log jam in the day time.If she thinks there is a flathead laying in there and she can't get it to bite.before we move to a different spot she will jig around the log jam.I have never caught a flathead on a jigging spoon.But i have seen her pull out some really nice flats.

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I gettem on spinner and buzz bauts reguallary..And while crappie fishing i get channel and bullhead

19. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Got two channels this morning on a thin fin crank bait. I was looking for any thing that would hit. They've been feeding heavily on water moss so maybe they decided to quit the vegitarian diet. :wink: